Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator for two pipe steam - was in water service

Options
josephc
josephc Member Posts: 39
I have had to start my search over for a radiator for our addition since today I cracked the 1/8 inch port on one I had gotten (after a day long process of taking rusted fittings off and pressure checking).

I found another one in pictures attached - This radiator is in my neighbors home and was in hot water service. Im asking if it can be used in steam service because it only has one top port and two bottom ports. Other steam radiators ive see have top and bottom on both sides. This one looked like it only had one top entry and one decorative fitting on other side. Hope its not a stupid question - just want to make sure before going through another expense.

Thank you
Joe

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,327
    Options
    Shouldn't be a problem, so long as you can get that top port open. Then you can take the return from whichever bottom port suits your piping.

Actually you can use two bottom ports at opposite ends, but it may not heat as well, as the steam has a harder time persuading the air to leave gracefully...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • josephc
    josephc Member Posts: 39
    Options
    Here are additional pictures of ends. It is an AERO radiator. You can see one top fitting is a flush one with slotted insert. After seeing these pictures can we confirm it will be good for twopipe steam service?