Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco model number question

Options
PeterSim
PeterSim Member Posts: 1
hello everyone,

My air conditioner relies on a Taco water pump to circulate hot water for heat. The old one on my AC is no longer being produced. I found the new model as 006-BC7-5IFC. However, 006-BC7-5IFC is hard to find but 006-BC7-IFC is easier to get.

A local contactor told me 006-BC7-5IFC and 006-BC7-IFC are interchangeable. It is just difference in generations. Is this true? Thank you.

Peter

Comments

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    Can you explain better or post some pics? A/C needs a circulator for heat?
    A Taco 006 is a bronze or stainless circ typically used for domestic water.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    edited June 2018
    Options
    PeterSim said:

hello everyone,

My air conditioner relies on a Taco water pump to circulate hot water for heat. The old one on my AC is no longer being produced. I found the new model as 006-BC7-5IFC. However, 006-BC7-5IFC is hard to find but 006-BC7-IFC is easier to get.

A local contactor told me 006-BC7-5IFC and 006-BC7-IFC are interchangeable. It is just difference in generations. Is this true? Thank you.

Peter

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2018
    Options
    If your needing a circulator to pump hot water to a coil in the duct I wouldn't be too concerned about replacing with the exact same model.
    A 0015 taco is a 3 speed so you can fine tune to the flow you need. Probably low speed?
    Same for a 15-58 Grundfos.
    Both more common than 006.
    My 2¢.
  • Steve Thompson (Taco)
    Steve Thompson (Taco) Member Posts: 204
    Options
    The 006-BC7-5IFC has a 24 volt relay (and larger control box) for First Company air handlers (to exercise the pump, meeting local codes) so it's probably best to replace same with same. NOTE: If you are looking at any other model or brand, the 006 is bronze - if replaced with cast iron there may be rust issues.

Both are still available...
    Rich_49Zman
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    It needs to be a low lead alloy circulator if it touches potable water. I think most DHW circulators are now stainless, not bronze.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Ok, my bad. Didn't consider circulating potable water for heat.
  • Steve Thompson (Taco)
    Steve Thompson (Taco) Member Posts: 204
    Options
    Stainless, low lead bronze, plastic - whatever as long as it's a non-ferrous material that will not rust with excess air in the water (like open DHW systems). Also must comply with NSF etc (low lead compliant) if used in drinking water applications...