Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rigid #700 Threader

Options
My Rigid 700 works great in forward, but in reverse the motor hums and trips circuits, the brushes look fine, could it be the switch?
Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,631
    Options
    If the motor hums, it's trying to turn but can't for some reason. Can you prop it over by hand both directions? I'd expect it to feel about the same resistance either way, without pipe in the dies. There might be something that binds in one direction only.

I wouldn't think the switch, or it'd trip instantly on a dead short.

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating

Check the "keepers" that hold the die in place. They are spring loaded. If one of them jambs up or brakes it can get jammed in the gears.

Seems to me I had that problem once
    GroundUp
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    It could be the switch, any poor connection will raise amp draw and these things DRAW on a good day.
  • Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating
    Options
    EBEBRATT, it works great in forward, just reverse is a problem..
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,631
    Options
    Can you turn the motor armature by hand (or maybe with a wooden dowel through an air vent)? I'm still imagining something binding the motor in reverse gear, like a shaft in the reducing gears that moves out of position during reverse operation and binds.

I suppose a really lousy connection on the reversing contacts in the switch could cause enough voltage drop that the motor couldn't start; that might have similar results. Does the switch sound\feel the same going into forward as reverse?

• GroundUp
    GroundUp Member Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Had a 700 powerhead on a roll cutter drop a keeper like ebebratt-ed is describing. It would spin one direction and not the other
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,549
    Options
    @Bob Gagnon plumbing and heating what @GroundUp said. something to check. Seems to me those keepers can break off and allow rotation in one direction. Been a long time

I doubt it's the switch but it could be. Possible the switch is powering forward and reverse at the same time when in reverse.

I would take the drive end apart. As I remember nothing in there but gears and grease. Then you can get to the end of the motor shaft and see if you can turn it by hand before ripping the electrical apart. Probably the best way t go at it