Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Did you follow through?

Options
So i'm talking to my sister who had her furnace (yes furnace) replaced last July. The contractor came with good recommendations (from me) since I knew the former owner and they had done good work for me on the air conditioning system.

There were 2 rebates from the utility company and it was a substantial amount. The HVAC company said they would take care of submitting the rebates and all would be great. It was a very good install.

The rebates did not show up after several months. My sister is, I think an unnaturally patient person but after 6 or 8 months even she was not so happy. Several calls to the company did not go anywhere even though they said they had taken care of getting the rebate to the utility. They did ask for the serial number and a few other things again after all this time and that seemed a bit questionable, but who knows.

The company called her a while back and said she needed to schedule the inspector for a final (yes after all this time) so she did. The inspector would not sign off on the install because the vent pipe was broken where it exits the house. So there's that.

My sister calls the company and with less patience showing asks for the rebate and getting the vent pipe reattached. The office person on the other end of the phone (this is where I get to the point) seemed put off according to my usually very patient sister. She said that someone from the scheduling dept. would call her next week to take care of the vent pipe. It's not heating season so she doesn't really care at this point but I would think the company would want the final inspection passed (after all this time).

Now, my sister reads the neighborhood message board and someone was looking for a recommendation for a furnace replacement. She told me that she would not even think about giving this company a recommendation even though they did a good install (the vent pipe not withstanding).

It seems to me that all it takes is 1 person to create the image of the company.

Larry (now retired from OSHA)

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Yes, It's called a bad taste in one's mouth.
  • RomanP
    RomanP Member Posts: 102
    Options
    At least she got a very good install