Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Care when disconnecting steam radiators?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
We have to disconnect some radiators for a few months of our renovation for access to walls behind and flooring underneath, and then reinstall them in the fall.
Obviously the steam is off for this period of time, but should we do anything to the radiators while disconnected, like cover the valve end? Maybe tip them to empty any water that might be inside?
And cover the pipe end too?
I’ve never done this and have read a few different things so figured I’d let the actual pros chime in on anything that should be done.
Thank you for any advice!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    No harm to tipping them, although there shouldn't be much water in there. I think I might be inclined to put a piece of plastic wrap over the union ends on the valve and trap, though, with a rubber band or something -- to keep any inquisitive critters out. Might do the same for the ends left on the radiator, too...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • New England SteamWorks
    New England SteamWorks Member Posts: 1,505
    Nothing special required, though the union may take a bit of work to get lose. It would be a good idea to wrap the floor valve end in saran wrap to keep stuff out.

An even better idea would be (as long as they are disconnected) to take them to a sandblaster and have them refinished.
    New England SteamWorks
    Service, Installation, & Restoration of Steam Heating Systems
    newenglandsteamworks.com
  • bipbap
    bipbap Member Posts: 191
    Ok thanks for the advice.
    Yeah I was thinking about refinishing them while disconnected.
    Know anyone in Brooklyn who does that for a reasonable price?
    Also any specific type of paint to repaint with?