Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pipe size reduction - will it affect radiator heat

Options
redcar383
redcar383 Member Posts: 2
My basement has cast iron hot water heating pipes. In order to remodel my basement these will have to be moved much closer to the walls. Question - I have a number of feeds of 3/4" off of the 1" main runs. In using Pex rated heat pipe and fittings I have to go to 1/2 heat pipe pex for the threads to match up. Will this affect the radiant heat output of the radiators?

Thank you

Comments

• EYoder
    EYoder Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Are these cast iron radiators or baseboard? 1/2" pex can handle a good size cast rad if each is piped individually.
  • SuperJ
    SuperJ Member Posts: 609
    Options
    If you pipe your rads in parallel you'll likely be fine with 1/2" pex. But if you can post some more specifics about your system you'll get better feedback, like rad size/output, pipe runs, water temp, etc.
    Pictures are good too.
    EYoder
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    The piping in your system was carefully balanced when it was installed - particularly if it was originally gravity flow. If you change part of it, that will throw it out of balance.

Water takes the path of least resistance. While 1/2" may carry enough flow if the entire system was designed for it, it will most certainly be too small if the other rad's have larger piping.

What I'm saying is that the system must be viewed as a whole in designing and selecting pipe sizes. You can't just redo the pipe size of only part of it. That's why more info is needed.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • redcar383
    redcar383 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you! Bob, Superj and Eyoder.. I (may) have enough information at this point..
    with sincerely very much thanks Gentlemen
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Run a 1/2" Pex-Al-Pex supply and return from each radiator back to the boiler room and connect them to manifolds with flow meters and balancing valves. I.e. Homerun manifold distribution system.
    Steve Minnich
    SuperJ