Hi everyone, we built a new house. Amish mason built a beautiful chimney with 2 12" terra cotta flues--one for the fireplace (good) & one to vent the high efficiency buderus propane boiler & water heater (bad). B/c flue is over-sized, condensate is leaking back into our house (not living there yet)--of course have learned all this the hard way on the internet over the past few weeks
Options now seem to be:
1. install a stainless, insulated 5" chimney liner down the 30' chimney & hope there is enough draft to fix the problem; or
2. Add power-vent straight out & just leave the original flue empty.
My specific questions are:
1. Preference between the 2 options--or any other I am missing?
2. Any suggestions re: product we should use for that 5" insulated flue? Scared to trust my mason/chimney builder to get that right;
3. Thoughts on the power vent? My heating guy says they are loud, difficult to service & that repairs are frequent.
I would be grateful for any/all feedback!