Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiator turning off help

Options
cmbrooklyn
cmbrooklyn Member Posts: 1
Hello,
I just moved into a new apartment and we have a new heating system in the building. I’m not sure what kind of radiator it or or how to turn it off. When ever the heat/hot water comes up it sounds like someone is taking a hammer to it. The sound is unbearable! The constant banging wakes you up out of the deepest sleep. How do I turn this off? I attached a photo of the radiator.

Thank you!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Take a picture from the front as well, as I suspect that the convector is not pitched down to the outlet trap.
    There may be some system wide problems as well. A good steam expert would be able to make that totally silent, as it was when first installed. You may need help from whoever takes care of the building, (if such a person exists).—NBC
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    Options
    got a hammer,lol kidding, need to contact the building maintenance or have a professional come look at it
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Steam convector. And you are probably not the only apartment with problems. The bad news is that it's probably not something you can easily fix in your apartment, nor do I see a way to turn that particular radiator off. Your management should get someone who actually knows steam in there to work on the system. It will make it almost completely silent -- and save them a bundle of money in the process.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England