Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tough one to figure out...

Options
13»

Comments

• Harman
    Harman Member Posts: 35
    Options
    good idea super, that will about double their output and I can't run them at 180 since I want this to be low temp system, as do they...
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,201
    Options
    Harman said:

OK, so I met with them today (went there and gathered all my manual J data, not that I can change the tubing in their floor, but at least I will know the load, for BTU / GPM) and they madde a decision to get rid of the baseboard in the basement and go with more radiant panels, they also decided to go with heated towel racks in the 3 bathrooms, FUN... lol

I am going to redraw it with the indirect on the other side of the HS...

Your load calc is going to answer a lot of questions. Really no sense in figuring out a piping and temperature requirement until a room by room load calc is in hand, good move that you are starting with that.

Are you using a radiant or hydronic specific program for the load calc? Those tend to be more accurate than a common manual J forced air calc.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Harman
    Options
    I am just doing a manual j , I agree hydro and radiant specific programs are more accurate, but manual j has gotten me by with no issues up to date.
    I do want to look into getting a radiant program...
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Here is a free load calc that a lot of designers like

http://www.slantfin.com/slantfin-heat-loss-calculator/

Burnham has one also
    http://www.usboiler.net/heat-loss-calculator.html

My favorite is at www.hydronicpros.com it allows you to customize inputs better, a free demo at this site may get you excited.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Zman
  • Harman
    Options
    thanks hot rod I will check them out, I have another radiant job (1600 sq feet, 1 level above floor system) that I priced, but I am not sure if I am going to get it, the cost of the above floor systems is just insane, Rahau, warm board, etc all end up around $9 a square foot in materials before you buy a manifold, mixing valve, or boiler!!! I am looking into quick track which looks a little cheaper. I swear I would love to invent a cnc router that shops could use to make their own track boards with....
  • hot_rod
    Options
    That is how Radiant Design builds their panel system with a large CNC router table.

I prefer the systems that use a good grade multi layer ply or Baltic birch material. Not real fond of particle board materials.

MDO board would be nice, the material they make outdoor signs with, but $$.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA