Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

L.P. Wall Furnace

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I am looking for an LP direct vent wall furnace, such a a Rinnia. The caveat is, I need to take the vent up to the top of the basement wall in order to terminate above ground level outside. Unless I am mistaken, the Rinnia vents directly through the wall behind the heater?

Anyone have any solutions?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Harvey,
    I have been searching for a similar solution for an off grid structure. Williams tech support suggested this model. https://www.williamscomfortprod.com/product/ultra-high-efficiency-direct-vent-furnaces-93-afue/
    It won't work for me due to power requirements and altitude limitations.
    Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Harvey Ramer
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    The Rinnai Energysaver has 5 models. The EX08 (3000-8000btu) cannot accept any vent extensions as the input is so low it would condense. All of the other models, the 11,17, 22 & 38 can vent vertically up a basement wall and then out with the supplied vent. There are SS telescoping vent kits available. They are simple to install. They must be accessible, however. You can cover the vent but you cannot build it into the wall. The thru the wall vent kit supplied with the unit will adjust from 4.5-9.5". Make sure the vent termination grades to the outside. This is not negotiable! You can run the the vert. pipe directly into the side of the vent or you can use a short radius 90 to tie into the back side of the vent. This will depend upon the thickness of the wall. I've been representing this product for the past 27 years. They are, in a word, outstanding. There are 250,000 units installed in New England;) and they are bullet proof. Carl, I have found the Rinnai's to be excellent on off-grid applications. The EX-22 will modulate from 8200-20,500 btu on LP, with 7 stage modulation. It will draw between 33 and 56 watts. The smaller models, the 17, 11 & 08 draw less.
    Solid_Fuel_ManHarvey RamerkcoppCrissie
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Thanks guys!

I'm assuming those vent kits are a Rinnia product? Do you have a link to the literature showing the kits?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    edited March 2018
    they are direct from Rinnai. Page 57/58 explains the venting and what's available..

https://www.rinnai.us/system/files/2018-02/RHFE-556WTA%20Installation%20and%20Operation%20Manual.pdf
  • Crissie
    Crissie Member Posts: 132
    Jack said:

The Rinnai Energysaver has 5 models. The EX08 (3000-8000btu) cannot accept any vent extensions as the input is so low it would condense. All of the other models, the 11,17, 22 & 38 can vent vertically up a basement wall and then out with the supplied vent. There are SS telescoping vent kits available. They are simple to install. They must be accessible, however. You can cover the vent but you cannot build it into the wall. The thru the wall vent kit supplied with the unit will adjust from 4.5-9.5". Make sure the vent termination grades to the outside. This is not negotiable! You can run the the vert. pipe directly into the side of the vent or you can use a short radius 90 to tie into the back side of the vent. This will depend upon the thickness of the wall. I've been representing this product for the past 27 years. They are, in a word, outstanding. There are 250,000 units installed in New England;) and they are bullet proof. Carl, I have found the Rinnai's to be excellent on off-grid applications. The EX-22 will modulate from 8200-20,500 btu on LP, with 7 stage modulation. It will draw between 33 and 56 watts. The smaller models, the 17, 11 & 08 draw less.

@Jack I had researched the Rinnai last year and was very intrigued. Have a split level house without the needed room for adequate ductwork. Have been getting quotes on boiler baseboard heat, but it has been a bit of a nightmare. Was thinking about putting a Rinnai in an open concept living dining room. 800 sq ft total. Are you still with them and do you have any that would take care of that size?