Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

electrical issue

Options
rrabih
rrabih Member Posts: 38
I have two zones, with two circulators, the circulators are controlled by Argo Control box not but the Aquastat and the Aquastat only controls the temp limit of the water (to shut the boiler).
I have an electrical issue somewhere, may be caused by heated wires:

I tested the voltage between the XX of the Argo (relay) and they have some, say around 16V; it should normally be just a switch no? XX are the relay switch so should be same wiring, and only resistance should be there when switched, but why do I have voltage?

So in the relay then same issue, the two T wires (T and TV) shows some voltage as well...

any reason for this? I have checked all wiring but everything is connected well! is this caused by heat somehow?

Thank you

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Did you disconnect the wires from xx terminal before taking your readings?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    You probably should have 24v coming off of T-T in the aquastat, but nothing, like Harvey said @ X-X on the zone control (with the wires removed).
    What type of aquastat on boiler?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    What exactly is the issue your having?
  • rrabih
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Hi,
    didn't disconnect the wire from the XX, it is coming from the Aquastat (the aquastat is a honeywell L8148E). I have checked if I disconnect the wires from XX and see where the voltage is coming.

when I use a jumper to connect the XX or the T-T of the aquastat the aquastat clicks properly and the boiler starts,

I assume an issue with the Argo Control or just the relay that for XX switch connected, when I disconnect the wires, and when the thersmostat calls for heat, the relay clicks, but the XX are not linked (tested the resistance and there's none).
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Leave the wires on T-T, take the wires off X-X, twist them together
    Doesn't work? It's the wires.
    Does work? More investigating, but now you know it's something with the Argo.
    Argo model#?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• rrabih
    Options
    yes when I twist the two wires i XX, it works.
    the Argo is ARM 2P.
    sure it is something with the argo, I am wondering if I have to change the Argo or fix it
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    So, what is your electrical issue? Yes, the XX is a dry relay contact (switch). Harvey, It's impossible to have a voltage reading if the aquastat is disconnected from the Argo. The Argo XX gets its voltage from the aquastat transformer. You say the XX is 16V measured at the Argo with the wires connected to the aquastat TT contacts. What is the voltage measured at the TT contacts with the Argo wires disconnected from the TT contacts? They should be the same.

It should be 24V less the voltage loss thru the aquastat relay coil. It may be 16V as I don't know what the voltage drop is thru the coil, but the TT & XX should be the same.

Look, this is the way it works. The aquastat transformer send 24V to the TT contacts thru a relay coil and when the TT contact close, the aquastat relay is activated and the boiler and boiler circulator are turned on.

The Argo just turns on the zone relays and the XX relay, which closes the XX contacts which closes the TT contacts and starts the boiler. The room thermostats control the Argo zone relays.

"...relay clicks, but the XX are not linked (tested the resistance and there's none)." Resistance is 0 ohms, as it should be. The resistance is the same as putting the two probes of your meter together.

Make sure the priority switch is in the off position.

So, what is your electrical issue?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Step 1
    If you jump the t-stat connection and it works, you have a bad t-stat or wire. If not, move to step 2.

Step 2
    If you jump the boiler TT at the argo and the boiler fires, you have an issue with the argo. It could be the onboard transformer or relay but who cares. They are that expensive and cannot be easily repaired. Do check that you have power to the argo.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    Solid_Fuel_Man
  • rrabih
    Options
    thank you, the issue is that the relay clivks but the XX does not close, sorry when I am saying no resistance but I did try to see if it closes using the bip sound in the meter. I agree with you on all what you have said, It seems Argo is the issue here
  • rrabih
    Options
    Zman, I think I am in step 2:
    if I jump the TT in the aquastat it works, and this is normal.
    I jump the XX at the Argo the boiler fires as well.

Yes I am buying a new Argo and hopefully will work.
    In between, I am jumping the TT and I set the aquastat at 180 (lowest), I know that this is not the safest way but as long it stops when reaching 180F, it is fine.
  • rrabih
    Options
    Hi All,
    just to let you know that replacing the Argo fixed the issue. There should be just a problem with the relay, but replacing the all thing is better.
    thank you all for your help..

Zman
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Step 3 call a pro, create jobs