Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam sizing, any charts out there

McSteamer22
McSteamer22 Member Posts: 23
edited March 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I’m sizing a steam boiler for a Church in lower CT, my edr is 638. Existing header is 4” with two 3” mains. Whenever sizing comes into play I use the color of steam by peerless. Most of the time things are sized accurately , in this case I believe the 4” header to be oversized, im curious to the pros and cons, as my book says I can get 1163 edr from 3”.

I’ve always wanted other material on sizing, just because I use one manufactures numbers who’s to say that they are right on general steam sizing, Anything would be apritiated.
Thanks.
(Cough cough, J Hall)???

Comments

• AMservices
    AMservices Member Posts: 610
    The color of steam is probably saying a 3" main can support 1163 edr, with the right configuration, at the appropriate pressure.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,756
    no disrespect,
    what does boiler manual spec?
    known to beat dead horses
  • McSteamer22
    I’m putting in a peerless etc04, 650edr. Manual says 3”. But someone long ago thought it was a good idea to go 4”. Header is getting re piped regardless, just deciding on 3” or 4”.
    Existing boiler has 744 edr output
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    We'll make the assumption that the EDR is correct, and the boiler is properly sized. What is important to remember is two things: first, the manufacturer's recommendations are minimum. Second, the bigger the header the better the separation of steam and water will be. As I read that boiler, it takes two 2 inch risers. A three inch header would have the same steam velocity -- but there is a lot to be said for having a lower velocity in the header than in the risers.

So... I'd go with the four inch header.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    McSteamer22
  • McSteamer22
    edited March 2018
  • McSteamer22
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    I don’t think you can be ever be oversized with the risers and header of a boiler. Keeping the steam velocity down low is so important in keeping the steam dry, and not flinging a lot of water up into the mains. In addition, pay attention to how the air is pushed out, whether it might be from two-pipe or one-pipe.
    The choir, and congregation will be so appreciative to have a quiet system!—NBC
    McSteamer22GBartCanucker
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    id go 4" and a great reference book for any steam job is " the lost art of steam heating" by dan holohan, tells you why a 4 " header would be better and shows all kinds of piping and anything else you'd wanna know about piping steam boilers,.....good choice on the peerless , i use them all the time for steam jobs, never had a problem with them!!!!!!!!
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
    McSteamer22GBart