Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sewer Smell from heating vent

Options
Giova3
Giova3 Member Posts: 3
Hi - I have read some info on this page but nothing exactly as to what we are experiencing. We have oil heat and from the vent (floor) in our kitchen we are getting a horrible sewer smell. It is on the second floor - no smell on first floor other rooms. Any ideas what is causing this?? We shut off the heat and are using electric heaters for the moment as the smell was too intense.

Comments

• Giova3
    Options
    Hi - I have read some info on this page but nothing exactly as to what we are experiencing. We have oil heat and from the vent (floor) in our kitchen we are getting a horrible sewer smell. It is on the second floor - no smell on first floor other rooms. Any ideas what is causing this?? We shut off the heat and are using electric heaters for the moment as the smell was too intense.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    if it's only on one floor and not the other I would suspect you have something in your duct work... rodent's...
    the_donut
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,626
    Options
    Only the one vent? Sounds like something was spilled/dropped into it, like milk or a slice of cold cut. Or maybe, missing any small rodent-like pets?

The grill should be removable, take it off & peek inside with a flashlight.

• Giova3
    Options
    thank you both we will take a look - my husband thought it could be something that feel in we have a dog so he could have dropped some food in there but it smells soooooo bad - still have electric heaters going avoiding putting it back on thanks will have him take a look in the morning
  • Shalom
    Shalom Member Posts: 165
    Options
    Well when you find out, let us know what it was.