Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weird error code on Munchkin boiler - what does it mean?

Options
ccarter2
ccarter2 Member Posts: 3
Hello all ~
Can someone help me? My Munchkin boiler is currently showing a weird error code on the control panel and it is not listed in the owner's manual troubleshooting descriptions. It looks like it reads: H.8.8. I can't find any reference to what it might mean. I tried pressing the 'reset' button, but nothing happens. Any of you experts out there have a clue??

I took a picture of it .... will try to post.
Thanks so much,
C. Carter

Comments

• HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    edited March 2018
    Options
    New one on me. I would call HTP at 1-800-323-9651 and talk to technical. I think that it might be a bad display board trying to display 8.8.8. and missing some of the bars on the first 8.

You can check the cable and make sure it is seated on both ends. Remove the power to the display board and then the power to the boiler and see if it resets.

I always connect these new fangled mod/cons thru a computer grade surge protector. Lightning can strike 1/4 mile away and do havoc on a control board. I've seen it happen.
    kcoppSuperTech
  • ccarter2
    Options
    Thank you very much, Homer, I will call that number. You may be right about missing bars on the '8'....I wondered that, too. I dare not fiddle with this unit myself (just a gal without such tech knowledge) but I was anxious that something dire might occur. And I do think it's extremely odd that I can't find any reference to that number sequence in the manual OR on Google.
    Thanks again.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Reboot it by turning power off, wait 10 seconds and repower it back up.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
    kcopp
  • ccarter2
    Options
    Thanks for your reply, Mark.
    At the moment, I am concerned about following the power on/off suggestion because although the error code is still on, the boiler appears to be running fine & the house/water is being heated, etc.
    Could you possibly explain your thinking about the power-off? Also, have you heard of this particular code before?
    Thanks again.
  • HomerJSmith
    HomerJSmith Member Posts: 2,441
    Options
    The reason you don't see a fault code like you have is because it isn't a fault code. It's a failure in either the display board, ribbon cable, or controller. I suspect the controller is ok as you have heat from, what appears to be a normally functioning boiler.

Unplug the ribbon cable from the controller and re-plug it back in. You can remove the 4 screws from the display board and remove the ribbon cable plug from the board and re-plug it back. Do this with the power to the boiler turned off.

My bet is that it is a bad display board as all the leds are lighted up.

You can buy a new display board from http://jupiterheating.com/ and order one based upon the controller on your boiler. Different controllers require different display boards and ribbon cables.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,061
    Options
    As long as you have heat and hot water, you might consider not tinkering with it until Monday AM.
    lchmbratioGBart
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Would be interesting to get a follow up, resolution. I had one read weird once and it was loose cable ends going to the display if memory serves or at the board going to the display.
    JUGHNE