Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Gas testing

jfplumrjfplumr Member Posts: 13
I was given a test fitting by my gas supplier (New York State Electric and Gas) which allows me to remove the union half from the meter outlet and attach a gauge and schrader valve for air test. It appears to be 1 1/2" straight (not tapered thread) by 1/4"ips thread. This fitting has cracked and I can't seem to find one anywhere to replace it. Does anyone else use this type of fitting or know where to get one? Thanks in advance.


  • delta Tdelta T Member Posts: 525
    Most gas meters use a union with a flat rubber washer in them. I would contact your gas supplier and see if they are willing to get one for you, but they may not be. My utility (in Colorado) does not want us touching the meter at all. Here it is a requirement that a tee with a plug be installed immediately downstream of the the meter, to allow pressure testing on the downstream side.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 4,141
    So you would have to put a gas stop/valve after the meter to isolate it while testing?
  • delta Tdelta T Member Posts: 525
    No, shut off the gas at the inlet to the regulator (before the meter) remove the plug in the tee, install a fitting for your monometer, and restore the gas.

    Just realized I missed the 'Air' in air test lol! I was thinking about testing using a monometer to determine pressure drop and the like. Late night last night....

    Usually here we are required to have the gas line installed with an air test on it, inspection, then the gas utility will connect the meter to whatever is stubbed out of the building.

    In the case of re-testing an old line, we would attach a nipple with a gauge and test assembly to the tee, and remove the union and swing arm from the meter side and plug that connection to the tee.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 4,141
    Many years ago I thought I would be clever and pressure test the entire system after a house repipe. The NG was off at the meter and as my air pressure was pumping up there was a foghorn sound in the alley. I stopped immediately and was telling the gas service man about it later. After a friendly educational lecture I learned to not back feed a regulator with pressure and low pressure meters were only rated for a max pressure. Both devices survived my "testing".
    I now do as you just described.
    We have a small town owned gas company who are very cooperative and helpful.
    Does your NG company let you adjust their meter regulators as mine does?
  • delta Tdelta T Member Posts: 525
    Oh goodness no. We are not supposed to touch any of their equipment at all.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 3,662
    Around here the code says to isolate the piping on both ends and pressure test. Some inspectors want 2 gages.

    I have seen many and done it myself where you pressure test on 1 end and have a ball valve or ball gas cock on the other end where you tied in and pressure test against a ball valve and they are usually ok with that.

    As far as adjusting regs, if I need to adjust it I do unless it is sealed.

    One thing the local gas co told me is when they shut gas service off for any reason they shut the gas cock before the meter and put a blank slug in one of the unions on the meter.

    Reason for this is their gas cocks leak by sometimes. So they shut a house off close the gas cock and lock the meter but the gas leaks by into the house......they blew one up here a few years back.
  • JUGHNEJUGHNE Member Posts: 4,141
    The company trusts me to adjust regs if they have slipped down on pressure. They don't want you to go much above the 7" WC.
    Somewhere after that then they say they have to use a different multiplier for the meter reading.

    The same entity does the electric and water. If I set a temp pole they will energize it and usually let me have the meter. The AHJ wants to inspect this before it is energized and again after energized. So we get this over with only one trip for him.
    He looks, I pop the meter in and he tests the GFCI's. And good to go. He is 90 miles away and could drive another 50 past me and still be in his area. (some points are made ;) )

    When doing plumbing, they would give me the meter, wire and remote read out.

    Many years ago a different gas company got in trouble for removing the meter and regulator. The homeowners went with a jumper from high pressure to low pressure service line with radiator hose.
    14 PSI on furnace gas valve lite up the house.
    After that they would pull meter, cap stubs but leave the regulator in place.
  • delta Tdelta T Member Posts: 525
    believe me I wish they would let me adjust regs, and I won't say I haven't done it a few times, but they get super annoyed if they find out.

    Knowing some of my competition however.....I can understand where they are coming from.
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 3,662
    @delta T ,
    Gee, let me guess. Your "competition" cranks them all the way until they bottom out????????

    There to dumb to know that a regulator cranked all the way can't regulate
  • delta Tdelta T Member Posts: 525
    @EBEBRATT-Ed oh no, more like they break the caps thinking that tightening it more will will make the pressure go up, then blame the gas utility for having a faulty regulator, 'cuz the dern thing won't let any gas through!'. This one is true btw, we went out and replaced the thermocouple on the boiler.....guy spent 3 DAYS trying to fix her boiler. Some peoples kids....
Sign In or Register to comment.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!