Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is it? Your guess is better than mine.

the_donut Member Posts: 374
edited March 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
Any guesses on what this tool was used for? Background: found this in a late 19th century apartment near a drain.

Edit: didn’t realize this posted to radiant, thought I was posting to main. My mistake.


    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,074
    Reminds me of a split pipe hanger.
    Lag screw that looks too short.
    Would maybe have to maybe slip pipe thru after screwing in or slip ring over pipe then spread to tighten on ball??

    If a hanger, it looks to be a PIA and glad to not to have to use them. ;)
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    It is clay tile sized.
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,605
    Looks like a hanger to me
  • Steamhead
    Steamhead Member Posts: 16,885
    It is. The ball joint allows some movement.
    All Steamed Up, Inc.
    Towson, MD, USA
    Steam, Vapor & Hot-Water Heating Specialists
    Oil & Gas Burner Service
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,415
    I have some in the basement of the main place I care for... still holding up pipes.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Good to know. Thank you gents.