Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pulitzer Prize-winning novels depict heating systems in a new light

Options
HeatingHelp
HeatingHelp Administrator Posts: 638
edited March 2018 in THE MAIN WALL

Pulitzer Prize-winning novels depict heating systems in a new light

Read the full story here

Tinman

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,696
    edited March 2018
    Options
    Very good, Yes, our Great Society expects heat when the make their little commands at the thermostat. But, we are no one's minion; if you allow the customer to command you like just like they command their little heat switches on the wall, you are the anchor of the heating world. Let's earn, or better yet, command a little respect
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,436
    Options
    As usual Dan well stated and well thought.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,400
    Options
    Among the treasures in this ark I care for is a series of letters from one Julie Palmer Smith to her husband, Morris Smith, written during the Civil War. She was in Hartford, CT with four young girls. He was in New Orleans, busy selling tack (horse equipment) to the Confederates (there's a story there). In those letters, scattered around, are her stories of trying to keep their house in Hartford warm - at least warm enough to keep the water thawed. They are fascinating... we take so much for granted.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    Erin Holohan Haskell
  • Erin Holohan Haskell
    Erin Holohan Haskell Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 2,318
    Options
    So true!

President
    HeatingHelp.com

• BradHotNCold
    BradHotNCold Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Purely coincidentally, I read this on the day of the second consecutive nor’easter in as many weeks. We drove to Maine knowing the snow was on its way. Upon arrival, we made plans for the loss of electricity. We have not gone the generator route, so loss of electricity means loss of heat. But we have a form of cental heat: a Russian stove or masonry heater which is able — with enough wood — to keep the center of our Maine house moderately warm. We wear sweaters! But as they say, making wood warms you twice. But today’s whiteout conditions are gorgeous! 02/08/2018
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options
    So Dan, was there a clear winner-of all the books you read? Or at least a top 10?
    I looked up the list and was surprised to learn I had actually read 5 of them, sadly none in the last 30 years.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Options
    Two of my favorites are in there - The Grapes of Wrath and To Kill a Mockingbird.
    Steve Minnich
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    Steve, anything but Faulkner. ;-)
    Retired and loving it.
  • RPK
    RPK Member Posts: 106
    Options
    This made me think of a Pulitzer Prize winner I read recently, Martin Dressler, by Stephen Millhauser. There’s quite a bit on steam heating and even an entire chapter called “The Radiator” What were your thoughts on this one Dan?
    Tinman
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,539
    Options
    @RPK I liked that one a lot. Thanks.
    Retired and loving it.
  • GBart
    GBart Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I love the little war Darren McGavin has with his boiler in A Christmas Story, very accurate right down to the damper controls on the kitchen wall.