Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus Gas Hot Water Boiler - PLEASE HELP

roc
roc Member Posts: 6
I have a Buderus Gas Hot Water boiler model G124X SP/DP Model
1) I burn out my thermocupler every year. Should they burn out that often?
2) None of the part numbers are valid anymore. I contacted Buderus and received zero help. Where can I order parts and verify my part numbers?

Been extremely frustrated with this boiler over the years. Will probably buy American next time just for the parts availability.

Please Help!

Comments

• lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    If your burning out the t-couple I would suspect you have the wrong pilot orifice in the pilot. Are you looking for the t-couple or pilot assembly?
    roc
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Does your pilot flame surround the t-coupl about 3/4" all the time? During both on and off cycle ? It's not totally unusual to fail that often, should last longer, but during a yearly maintenance, a new t-coupl change out would be done anyhow.
    roc
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    edited March 2018
    The thermocouple, gas valve, ignition control, pilot assembly are all Honeywell parts. The same as used by American boiler manufacturers.

Are you on LP or natural gas? The content of some gas suppliers can be corrosive.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    roc
  • 4Johnpipe
    4Johnpipe Member Posts: 485
    Where is the boiler installed? Has this been occurring since original install? Did something change? Chemicals from the area can cause premature fouling and failure of thermocouples...
    LANGAN'S PLUMBING & HEATING LLC
    Considerate People, Considerate Service, Consider It Done!
    732-751-1560
    email: langansph@yahoo.com
    www.langansplumbing.com
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,234
    If I were you I would without hesitation get rid of the standing pilot. Buy a Honeywell Y8610U intermittent pilot retrofit kit. Your thermocouple issues will be completely eliminated and you will decrease fuel consumption.
    kcopp
  • roc
    lchmb, I am looking for the proper Thermocoupler, Q309 as indicated in their parts diagram. Thank you!
  • lchmb
    You can use a universal t-couple to replace it.. Take it to your local supply house and let them give you a replacement.. I would recommend having someone check your gas pressures and service the unit at some point. If your burning them out yearly something is a bit off.. https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell.com/europe/ecatdata/pg_gr-q309.html
    roc
  • roc
    Ironman, Thank you! I am on natural Gas.
  • roc
    4Johnpipe, Thank you! It's been happening more after the first original thermocoupler was replaced many years ago. The boiler is installed in a room off my garage with is heated.
  • lchmb
    try the husky brand..a bit tougher.. make sure you have combustion air in the room as well...
    roc
  • roc
    SuperTech,
    I think I will go with this option as I like the idea of getting rid of the thermocoupler all together. I noticed there are Honeywell Y8610U intermittent pilot retrofit kit with additional different numbers. How do I know which to purchase for my boiler? TIA
  • the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Maybe it is getting hot from partially obstructed flue.
    roc
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,234
    edited March 2018
    The Y8610U4001 has a maximum capacity of 150,000 BTU/hr and the Y8610U6006 has a maximum capacity of 270,000 BTU/hr. You should be able to find the capacity information on the data plate inside the boiler.

Usually I find thermocouple failure due to the thermocouple being "cooked" from the pilot flame being too large.

It's always nice to be able to gain efficiency and solve a problem at the same time.
    roc
  • roc
    SuperTech , THANK YOU SOOO MUCH!!!! Roc