Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Severe Weather

Dan Foley
Dan Foley Member Posts: 1,260
edited March 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
We had some severe weather in the D.C. area on Friday. 60-70 mph winds took down trees and power lines. Dulles and National Airports were shut down. A large tree fell across three lanes of the Beltway backing up traffic. A sign fell on I-95 shutting down the southbound lanes.

A large oak tree fell on an apartment building we work on. It pushed a large electrical conduit onto a heat main bending it down. This caused several fittings to crack spraying water everywhere.

My guys isolated this main and drained it down. The conduit was still hot at this time. I told them not to touch anything else until power was turned off.

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    Mother nature can be vicious.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    Next street over a maple with a 30" trunk went over onto a house, luckily it was close to the house so it didn't build up any speed, it really just leaned on the house but it still crunched a dormer and a porch roof.

A strong 'noreaster one block off the Atlantic Ocean just south of Boston can be dicey. These are really winter hurricanes, only difference is the temperature and if it's snow the tree damage is 10X worse - luckily this one was rain for us. The two peninsula's in the city both were cut off by flood waters from waves coming onshore.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    I'm getting a little tired of this... no real damage nearby, though there was a good bit elsewhere. And another foot of the white stuff, they say, Wednesday into Thursday.

Nuts.

I have fuel for the generator and the tractors, and hay for the horses, and adequate food... now if I didn't have a Town board meeting Wednesday night, I'd be just fine.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • invermont
    invermont Member Posts: 73
    Lucky no one got hurt. My brother in law used to live in Bethesda. He had trees like that around him. I call them “house killers”
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    Old time monoflow system. Glad no one got hurt. That wireway took a good hit