Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The worse steam coil repair thus far

lostinheating
lostinheating Member Posts: 31
Boy when it rains it pours. Had to fix a leaking steam coil at the adapter fitting. Iron pipe going into copper. The pipe never comes out easy so I have to redo fitting and run copper. Previous mechanic Jimmy rigged it and when pulled off old fitting everything was trashed. Had to make a new piece for adapter to fit. Had to do it for supply and return. This job was so bad I had to brass my adapter an me and female to each other because they wouldn't come apart after measuring.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

But if it was me, I would braze the stub into the header and after it cools sweat the adapter on.

Once you heat and aneal an adapter they get so soft they stretch when you crank a threaded pipe into it.

Looks good that stuff is tough takes some experience and creativity.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,234
    A lot of guys wouldn't have attempted that repair. You have to be pretty good at brazing to do it without any any leaks or damage to the fins. I'm sure the customer was glad you were able to get it repaired.
    CLamb
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    Nice work. I've got a few that're more silver then not at this stage. I'm afraid I'm going to have to replace it the next time it fails.
  • lostinheating
    lostinheating Member Posts: 31
    > @EBEBRATT-Ed said:
    > ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    >
    > But if it was me, I would braze the stub into the header and after it cools sweat the adapter on.
    >
    > Once you heat and aneal an adapter they get so soft they stretch when you crank a threaded pipe into it.
    >
    > Looks good that stuff is tough takes some experience and creativity.

That's a good idea but I actually love brazing over soldering.