Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LWCO testing requirements

Dale_3
Dale_3 Member Posts: 58
I'm sure this is an easy question for most of you so I will beg for forgiveness up front. What code mandates the testing of LWCO devices?

Thanks - Dale

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    The manufacturers instructions would tell you how and when to test.

If the boiler is covered by insurance the insurance company may have testing guidelines.

ASME code would have information on this. Their requirements are usually applied to commercial boilers.

Cities and state may have codes requiring Low water cutoff(s) to be installed but would not likely require testing in those codes. MFG instructions would be followed
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Generally, the accepted interval appears to be once a week.

FM Global Insurance at my factory wants it tested once a week as well.

Personally, if for example, the boiler has some leaks, I’d test it 2-3x a week and check water level as well. Mid winter I check my boiler almost daily since it’s 34 years old and probably wasn’t well cared for. The LWCO was stuck on when i bought the house and gummed up with crud, auto fill disabled and I need to rebuild to LWCO to get it to work as it periodically floods the boiler. Plus the water fill point is above the water line so I get hammer in the auto fill line when it turns off.
  • Dale_3
    Dale_3 Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for the input.