Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Only getting heat when all 3 zones drop below set temperature

scrippi77
scrippi77 Member Posts: 4
Hi. I have a 3 zone Carrier Infinity forced hot air heating system. The furnace only seems to turn on when all zones are below the desired temperature, even if they are set to their own temperature. Does anyone have any idea why this could be the case? It's almost as if I have lost the zones and they are all running as one. This is driving me crazy. lol. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    Clearly a controls problems -- so we need to know more about how the controls are set up. What do the thermostats control? Zone dampers? What actually turns the furnace on? Any relays or control boxes of some kind?
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • scrippi77
    Hi Jamie, I have three thermostats...one for each zone. The main level has the master thermostat and you can control every zone from there. I have checked to make sure there are no overrides on (as far as I can tell). I have been through all the settings and read the manual back to back. Each zone has an automatic damper. The furnace should kick on anyone time any of the zone temperatures fall below the temperature is set at.
  • Jamie Hall
    Does the furnace turn on when you call for emergency heat? From any of the zones?

May I respectfully point out that this system is rather complex. It is very likely that you need a technician to come out and see what is happening -- or not.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUT
  • scrippi77
    I popped off the thermostat from the wall and replaced it. Now it says No sensor data for Zone 2 and Zone 3. Maybe I have to reset something? Additionally, I went in to check the last 10 events and it says AIRFLOW LIMITED STAGEDOWN OCCURRED
  • Jamie Hall
    You will need to reset the entire system. Make sure all your controls are properly wired and communicating.

The airflow limited message suggests that either the zone dampers are not opening properly (you do have the correct motors on them? Rectangular and circular are different) or that the zones are undersized for the blower, or that the blower is not correctly responding.

You can download the troubleshooting manual from the web; you're going to need it (not the owner's manual -- the more extensive troubleshooting one).
    Br. Jamie, osb
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,039
    There's 3 heat stages, correct? Heat pump and 2 gas stages. Airflow limited could be a dirty air filter, restriction in the duct, faulty damper(s), or ECM motor. Does the fan run?
    Could also be a communication problem anywhere between one of the sensors to the zone board, zone board to furnace, or zone board to condenser.
    Find a service company that is familiar with the Infinity system.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    It’s a Carrier zoning system I suspect, you’ll need to call the Carrier guy. I haven’t installed that zoning system yet, but I suspect the panel is needing attention. Maybe shut the power off for 10 minutes and give it a good old fashioned reset make sure power goes off on the panel (it should)
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • scrippi77
    I don't know how to call for emergency heat (?). I look that up. I have had terrible luck with the Carrier repair company. They put a new secondary heat exchanger in and then couldn't figure out why the high limit switch was tripping. He tried to drill holes in the duct work, only let the furnace run on low, and disconnect one zone damper and claim it was fixed. I insisted they keep trying and they finally contacted Carrier. It was missing a baffle to direct the air flow. 2K for the heat exchanger even after Carrier provided the part and put 325.00 towards labor. Needless to say, I have zero trust now.

Air filter is clean. I just replaced it two days ago. I am meticulous about checking it and changing it.

There is no heat pump. The fan runs.

I shut the system off earlier today. Waited for the power for the panel to go off and then went through the reset process.

I have 3 rectangular zone dampers. They are all the same.

I'm wondering if when I reconnected the damper motor wires in zone 3 (which the previous repairman disconnected and left that way as part of the "fix", that there is an air flow issue.

Thanks again for your thoughts. Even if I can't fix it, at least I am learning and have intelligence (some, lol) going into the next service call.
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 2,234
    The Infinity System is a complex communicating system, completely different from the traditional HVAC. I have installed several and have been servicing them for years.

A technician that is trained and experienced with the infinity controls is critical! All diagnostic information can be accessed through the user interface. If you have the infinity touch interface the service and diagnostic menu can be accessed by pressing the hat for thirty seconds. Warning: changing any settings in that menu can lead to system malfunction.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    that's not a fun story, when we install a system and it goes on the fritz, we drop our costs for the repairs. Sometimes at zero cost (yes, i'm talking after our labor warranty has expired). if it's not our install, it's the full price. I hope you ca find a new and better Carrier contractor
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
    SuperTechCanucker