Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Minisplit brand recommendations?

bipbap
bipbap Member Posts: 191
We are installing minisplits in our apartment for AC and also for supplemental heat with the ability to work at the extra low temperatures. I see lots of Mitsubishi ones around but my contractor is saying Daikin is the way to go.
Any recommendations when it comes to brand?
Thank you!

Comments

• mars_6
    mars_6 Member Posts: 107
    Unless Mitsubihi has improved there in house service department I would recomed anyone but them. Just my thoughts.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

kcopp
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    edited March 2018
    FWIW-
    Daikin Minimum Outdoor Temperature for Heating +5F
    LG Minimum Outdoor Temperature for Heating -4F

We recently had a couple zero degree days here... that 9 deg difference between the two brands may be important to you?
  • Terry O
    Terry O Member Posts: 67
    NY_Rob said:

FWIW-
    Daikin Minimum Outdoor Temperature for Heating +5F
    LG Minimum Outdoor Temperature for Heating -4F

We recently had a couple zero degree days here... that 9 deg difference between the two brands may be important to you?

LG has their "Red" units which are actually -13*F
    Terry O
    NY_Rob
  • NY_Rob
    ^ Amazing stuff... "LGRED" = 100% heat output at 5F outdoor temp!
  • bipbap
    bipbap Member Posts: 191
    Is that 5 degrees minimum for the “low temperature” Daikin model or their regular heat unit?
    I know there is the regular Mitsubishi heat pump and then the hyper heat model which is effective at the really low temps.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Daiken bought out Goodman two or three years ago to have a lower end product offering and US operations/Service presence. I'd be careful which products I bought from them. Goodman quality was average, at best.
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,917
    Me I would say..... Fujitsu ... They always seem ahead of the others and their customer service is the best... Customer service is very important when error codes start to flash ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NY_Rob
    bipbap said:

Is that 5 degrees minimum for the “low temperature” Daikin model or their regular heat unit?

+5F is for the standard Daikin MXS series.
    -13F heating is for the Daikin MXL series.

-4F is for LG regular series.
    -13F is is for the LGREG series.

• Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    Mitsubishi. Never had a problem with them.
    Actually, I never had a problem with Fijitsu or LG either.
    I've heard really good things about Daikin but haven't tried them yet.
    Installer, installer, installer.
    Steve Minnich
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    Carrier has a single zone 40 plus seer coming out soon. I say wow
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Just remember that the colder it gets, even if it says 100% heat output it is still falling on the efficiency curve. The 300% efficient the manufacturers claim is only at ideal temps and no outdoor humidity.

Electric heat is 100% efficient so that's the standard which they compare their numbers suggesting that at 300% efficient it would cost 1/3 what electric heat would.

I install Fujitsu, but have Also put in Daikin, and Mitsubishi. All have paper thin copper coils which I see as the weakest link aside from the compressor.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,747
    & don't be unmindful of the fact that not all multi-head systems can heat and cool simultaneously. Not such a problem during summer and winter, but during the swing seasons when heat pumps are supposed to be in their element, one might be disappointed in the performance.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Take a look at a hydro air system...as opposed to a mini split...mini splits are in my opinion are for the cheap builders special....everyone’s on the mini bandwagon...it’s fast and easy and profitable...it’s an open field that takes no special training...your guy is going to recommend the brand he is familiar with...and for nothing else that’s a good thing...he probley went to the dog and pony show on how to sell them and install them...hope he can service it when there is an issue
  • bulldoglax
    bulldoglax Member Posts: 38
    > @ratio said:
    > & don't be unmindful of the fact that not all multi-head systems can heat and cool simultaneously. Not such a problem during summer and winter, but during the swing seasons when heat pumps are supposed to be in their element, one might be disappointed in the performance.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,796
    COP will be about half when it’s 5 degrees
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com