Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas pressure testing kit

jerfisher
jerfisher Member Posts: 5
Hello.
I’m looking for info on tubing and fitting needed for testing and adjusting gas pressure, negative and positive pressure.

I believe Trane sells a kit that includes some of the needed fittings and tubing, but I cannot remember exactly. Does anyone know of any other kits available or suggestions on good fittings to keep handy?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    A 1/8" NPT hose barb fitting & a 2" piece of 3/8" vinyl tubing with a plastic hose barb adapter are the only things I've needed, aside from the times I hadda nipple the Kuhlman gauge onto randomme gas lines. Note: you want two of each. One of the 1/8" fittings I use has a ≈3" nipple on it to facilitate access to certain gas valves.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,517
    Google Dwyer Instruments. I use the #1227 manometer it has a vertical scale and an inclined scale or low pressure. You can read neg pressure on it comes with a few fittings.

I am sure Dwyer or maybe UEI make digital versions. I am old school. Manometers don't lie.

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Some like digital manometers and others like a water U-tube, then there the Magnohelic,

I have a Testo digital 510

Yes like Ratio says you’ll need a few gadgets. I got some misc tubing from the hardware store. Fittings to couple to bigger 3/8 tubing. I have 1/8 x 4” 5” and 6” nips, An 1/8” Black 90 elbow, and of course the 1/8 male x bard fitting it’s much easier to spin the nip in with the 90 on it
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,060
    As my vinyl tubing got crappy, I found some super flex square tubing. Can't kink and I guess it is square to prevent collapse if you get into some serious vacuum. Coils up very compactly into the cases. Will stretch over larger barbs.
  • ratio
    ratio Member Posts: 3,624
    Silicone tubing from the big box store. I think it's sensitive to chlorine or something though, I've had some rot out.

WRT the Magnahelic, be aware that the standard diaphragm isn't rated for propane or (IIRC) natural gas, your have to order a special model. I really like the Magnahelics, I've got a half-dozen of various scales. They're all proof to 15#, even the 0-¼" model!