Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hartford Loop BANG BANG

EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,405
Saw a job today with a boiler feed tank and pumps. The installer did a nice job, it's a school and the boiler is about 15 years old. The custodian complained that when the feed pump is on the boiler hammers, has always done it since day 1 nobody can fix it. The feed pump discharge is piped into the Hartford loop so it's probably shooting some water into the header when the pump runs.

We throttled the pump discharge and it was much better and had no problem keeping up feed water wise.

If you have a feed pump DON'T pipe it into a Hartford loop. Just pump it into the boiler return. The Hartford Loop connection is for gravity feed only. You can't back water out of a boiler with check valves on the feed pumps. Yes of course you still need the equalizer, just don't pump into the equalizer.

My 2cents
Ironman

Comments

• Mike_Sheppard
    Mike_Sheppard Member Posts: 696
    I've always wondered about this. When I started in the boiler trade 11 years ago everyone always told me that the Hartford Loop was 100% necessary. After reading some of Dan's and Ray's material I have found that is not true and it makes sense.

But I am wondering if the inspector would agree with that. Every new boiler I see today that has a feedwater tank still has a Hartford Loop with the feedwater piped into it. I will have to do some research and see if that would pass around here in Washington DC. I completely agree with you and it would be a much better option.
    Never stop learning.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,821
    Absolutely. It's pumping in to resistence & weight of water. Mad dog
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,405
    edited February 2018
    And it is often shown that way in various install manuals. But we are assuming that the inspectors know what a Hartford loop is for.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,821
    Precisely Ed. I'm sure Dan Foley could answer that, Mike. Mad Dog
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,506
    Absolutely right, Ed. Well done. Thanks for sharing here.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    edited February 2018
    Mad Dog, good idea. I will ask Dan Foley. Thank you!
    Never stop learning.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    After checking, apparently inspectors in DC still want a pumped return piped into the Hartford Loop.
    Never stop learning.
  • DanHolohan
    They need to be educated.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Mike_Sheppard
    DC is notorious for uneducated everything.
    Never stop learning.
    Ironman
  • DanHolohan
    Send them here.
    Retired and loving it.