Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sodium Silicate short term boiler leak remedy?

razzor
razzor Member Posts: 20
Still trying to make it to April with leaking Burnham boiler. 2” horizontal crack in center section. Does anyone have any thoughts on sodium silicate or water glass as a way to stop or at least slow down the leak?
Thanks.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,090
    Might work. Might also gum up a lot of other bits of your heating system, too.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Is the crack above or below the waterline?
    For below the waterline leaks, some old time remedies for this were to put a cup of rye seeds into the boiler. As they are so hairy, the seeds would jam into the hole, and stop it up-they said.
    Radiator stop leak was another fix, but the smell was awful!—NBC
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    try some really good silicon caulk, i've had success with that before
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • razzor
    razzor Member Posts: 20
    Thanks. Hot water boiler so I guess below the waterline? Can you recommend a good high temp silicone sealer? Also thoughts on JB Weld or another epoxy?
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    whatever works and what ever gets them to spring, never tried jb weld, try it
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 21,974
    I have used the Fernox products a few times with success. I'd suggest against the automotive type radiator sealers, use some product designed for hydronics.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Grallert
    Grallert Member Posts: 642
    I've used Pure Pro Boiler Weld Liquid with great results on water boilers. The success rate for me has been near 80%.
    Get it at F.W.Webb
    Miss Hall's School service mechanic, greenhouse manager,teacher and dog walker