Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Boiler Feeder Check Valves?

Options
Major7
Major7 Member Posts: 44
Greetings:

I'm about ready to repipe my boiler feeder, since the dielectric unions were not installed in the right place by the contractor (before I purchased the house). My question is simply this, is a check valve required, and if so, what if any type venting mechanism is required? My home is in the US.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    Yes an back flow preventer is required. on any boiler feeder connected to the water supply ...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Dialectric unions can be the gift that keeps on leaking, due to cheap hose washers.
    Many people think a brass, or bronze transition fitting, like a ball valve is more reliable, and seems to cut down on the galvanic action.—NBC
    kcopp
  • Major7
    Major7 Member Posts: 44
    Options
    thanks for the feedback. Is a check valve a suitable backflow preventer?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Check your local code. Here in Omaha, we would need a testable backflow, even though I have a spring loaded valve on the feed. The backflow must also be checked for operation yearly, but your requirements may vary in your location.—NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Nicholas, is that a city of Omaha or state of NE requirement.
    Is annual testing/certifying required?

Our small local water dept says boilers must have a testable BFP.

Most of the pictures we see (other states) here have only the double check air gap BFP installed.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Good question-the inspection requirements are administered by the MUD, by request of the Feds.--NBC
    SuperTech
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Generally speaking, a check valve is not acceptable as a backflow preventer -- and honestly even if it were I wouldn't accept it on my own plumbing, nor ever install one on someoneelse's.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    Options

Put this on, valves on both sides, add low water cut-off (if you don't already have it) and be done with it.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

SuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    But is it testable?.....I think not.
    Is it adequate protection......I think so.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    Do you need the 1156f if its a steam boiler.... the 9d should suffice.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,540
    Options
    9D is fine in MAss unless you have glycol or chemicals in the boiler. I'm not a plumber but that's what plumbers in our shop told me