Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New non-pro boiler Install

Wellness
Wellness Member Posts: 139
Replaced old, over-sized Burnham boiler and put a Prestige Solo in a new boiler room in a long, narrow basement bump out underneath the porch in my folk's house. Had to use pvc to sleeve copper return and supply pipe going though block wall back to the main house. These shots are before finishing up labeling and installing pipe insulation. Device behind the boiler is an old central vacuum cleaner. Indirect water heater with electric backup is on the opposite side.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,559
    It's hard to tell how it is designed from the pictures. Is it primary/secondary?

Your workmanship looks clean.

I don't like the PVC or lack of support of the T&P piping. It really should be copper or black pipe strapped to the wall.

Thanks for sharing.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Wellness
    Yes, primary/secondary. The 1-1/4" pipe above the pvc drain pipe is the primary loop. The space heat closely spaced tee is in the first picture at the bottom; the DHW tee is in pictures 3 and 4 at the top.
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Nice installation.
    Where did you get the press tool to use for the press fittings?
  • Wellness
    My company has a Propress but I worked with a plumber that does work for my company. He did most of the piping. I did the wiring and other work.
    bob eck
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    That Propress sure looks nice!

You may want to consider swapping out the Romex on the pumps for Armored/BX... better protection. No problem using 14ga... $18 for a 25ft roll at HD.
  • Wellness
    I usually use BX but because of the close quarters and all the copper pipe to potentially rub up against, I decided to use Romex to keep things neater and avoid any possible corrosion. When we do the insulation, we are going to hide the Romex inside the stout pipe bracket channel and cover it with a plastic bracket channel cover.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,100
    Nice job wellness looks 1000 times better then most that i see on a daily base and those are usually done by supposely pro.peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating