Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Heat Time Varivalve begining to make little hissing sounds

Two story gas fired steam delivery system. I installed 9 Heat Timer Varivalves about two years ago. They have been very quiet until recently when I'm hearing little hissing sounds in the units on the top floor. The temperatures are very balanced throughout. I was wondering if this is foreshadowing any issue. The main boiler was replaced one year ago
Thank you
John Neglia
Union, NJ

Comments

• FriendlyFred
    FriendlyFred Member Posts: 27
    Sometimes, especially with the 90 degree model, condensate can get trapped in the vent. Wait until the system isn't charged full of steam, undo the Varivalve, shake it out, and reinstall. That might solve the problem.

If it still makes noise, try washing it out under some clean water to remove any possible sediment or dirt trapped inside.

If it still makes noise, just know that it may be a minor annoyance, not something that foreshadows problems looming in the basement.

(*Probably worth ensuring that your installer set the system to operate at as low a pressure as feasible. )

(**Heat-timers can vent too aggressively, which can cause noise in the pipes due to excess condensate)

(***As far as noise goes, I'm partial to the 'ping' of a Hoffman 40 snapping shut.)
  • Maybe your pressure has been creeping up, due to a plugged pigtail.—NBC