Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary loop Bumblebee took a crap can I run my boiler till new pump arrives?

Options
Drewgrizz
Drewgrizz Member Posts: 21
I used Bumblee's when I built my system 5 years ago and the primary unit is giving me the old E05 code so I am gonna replace it with a 007e. The boiler starting banging early this morning so I shut down the radiators. Heat was still working but I guess it was kettling in the heat exchanger causing the banging. Is it ok to run the system like this for a few days till the new pump shows up? Or will it damage the boiler? It's an older Lochinvar natty unit.

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,785
    Options
    I don't think so...

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• the_donut
    the_donut Member Posts: 374
    Options
    Might damage the heat exchanger or worse.
    Canuckerkcopp
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Ketteling? You mean boiling and making steam? Water hammer very bad. Water expands about 1600x when it flashes to steam. In a sealed system, that can be a serious problem.

You might be able to redirect flow and use the secondary pump as the primary.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,433
    Options
    Go get a regular 007 to stick in there.
    You near a lowes or HD? You have shut off flanges I hope?
  • Drewgrizz
    Drewgrizz Member Posts: 21
    Options
    I ordered a 007e on Saturday from Amazon, will be here Tuesday. I have shutoffs on my manifolds, but the primary loop is gonna make a mess. Luckily it's been in the 60's here but is supposed to drop into the 30's for a high on Tuesday. Probably should be looking at a replacement for the other bumblebee after reading the comments about them. They are/were 5 years old.