Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Lochinvar Induction Fan Puzzle

ced48
ced48 Member Posts: 469
I have a 5 year old Lochinvar WH55 that has developed an interesting habit. When the outlet temperature reaches 150 degrees on a DHW call, or running in service mode, and hitting that temperature, the induction fan begins to do a little whistling, and slight air rushing sound-Increasing the pump speed, thus lowering delta-t, stops it, as does covering the side air intake. Any ideas on this one?

Comments

• DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    What do you have for gas piping? Is your domestic water outlet set for 150*?
  • ced48
    edited February 2018
    Black-I don't understand what you mean by my domestic hot water outlet. My tank is set at 125 degrees.
    Dennis said:

What do you have for gas piping? Is your domestic water outlet set for 150*?<

• DZoro
    Sorry my bad, what is your max temp for the boiler set at?
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    How long since cleaning and maintenance was done?
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • ced48
    I just cleaned the heat exchanger, burner, and checked combustion levels. I also replaced the fan gaskets. The boiler was more or less clean, little bit of debris.
    Max boiler 180-
  • DZoro
    Was it doing it before you did the maintenance? Double check all the bolts make sure everything is tight.
  • ced48
    Yes, that why I did the maintenance-
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    is this a new problem, or has it been doing for a long time? Seems to me you need a combustion analyzer to tune the combustion a bit. After 5 years, even if it was set up perfectly on install, it most likely needs a little tweek on the combustion settings. Do you have steel pipe for the gas supply all the way to the unit, or is it connected with a short flexible gas supply?
  • ced48
    Newish problem, it's minor-I have an analyzer. Propane- Co2 10.6 Co 75 high fire. Low fire Co2 10.6 Co 22-Steel pipe, no flexible connector-
  • Ironman
    Did you clean the water side? If not, I'd get some Fernox boiler cleaner and run it through and flush the system.
    Bob Boan
  • ced48
    edited February 2018
    No, only the fireside-Is this difficult to do?
  • Ironman
    No, just follow the pictorial instructions on the can. Obviously, you have to put it in the system with no pressure on it.
    Bob Boan
  • ced48
    edited February 2018
    Bob-I just got the water some quality numbers from our town water department. To me, they look real good. Chloride 23ppm, pH 8, Chlorine .68 ppm, TDS 56-74 , and hardness 35.7ppm
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    Is not the Co2 of 10.6 pushing it for propane? Seems high
  • ced48
    10 .0 to 11.0-
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    BTW you need 140F in your tank to prevent legionella!