Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Distant gurgling

Options
brandonf
brandonf Member Posts: 205
I have a distant gurgling on one of my bedroom radiators. It happens when the steam starts coming up. It sounds like it's gurgling 10 to 20 feet away down the pipe. It's not banging like water hammer would. This radiator shares a feed from the basement with the bathroom radiator. Houses from 1910 and the bathroom was remodeled in the 50s. I have a distinct feeling that the radiator in the bathroom was relocated from the outside wall to the opposite inside wall. And I'm not sure about how the piping would be pitched. Maybe it's condensate coming on a collision course? I recorded a video but it's not allowed to be uploaded on this site.
Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,607
    Options
    Post a few pictures of the piping where the two radiators tie together. Also check the pitch of all the piping on this branch and the radiators with a level
  • brandonf
    brandonf Member Posts: 205
    Options
    2nd floor. Finished ceiling on first floor.
    https://youtu.be/vSR1SDKcWmE I uploaded the video to YouTube. It's not as loud as it sounds on the video. It's about as loud as the average microwave.
    Homeowner, Entrepreneur, Mechanic, Electrician,

"The toes you step on today are connected to the butt you'll have to kiss tomorrow". ---Vincent "Buddy" Cianci
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,419
    Options
    Bubble bubble, toil and trouble... somewhere in that line -- quite possibly that relocated bathroom radiator's feed -- you have a section which is truly horizontal, or awfully dang close. And when the steam is coming up the condensate in the cold pipe is being pushed around by the steam trying to get by. Check all your pitches. These things don't always hammer...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England