Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sporadic grinding noise from aquastat on attached water zone.

DodgeDozer
DodgeDozer Member Posts: 1
So I inherited a natural gas one-pipe steam system with an attached water zone from the previous owner. The boiler itself is only a few years old. I'm pretty sure that's when the water zone was attached as well. In the past few days I've noticed a sporadic grinding noise that comes and goes when the boiler is working. As best as I can tell it's coming from the aquastat, but it's possible that it's originating from the circulator which is right next to it. It was really loud last night, so I drained and refilled the boiler, and also drained some water from the zone return (and I need to replace that valve too cause it now has a slow drip, figures, lol). Since then it's still making the noise, but not as loud.

I'm afraid the water circulator might needs to be replaced, as I had been told previously by the guy I used to service it in the past that he thought it wasn't positioned correctly and might fail earlier than usual. If that is the case, is it possible just to turn off that zone instead? It only heats one room baseboard, which already has a separate steam radiator.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance. I appreciate what all you folks do in helping folks out, it's getting harder and harder to find professionals familiar with the older style heating systems.

Photos

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,170
    You can easily turn off the circulator -- just disconnect the power to it and tape the wires. And the grinding has to be from the circulator -- there's nothing that moves in the aquastat except a simple switch.

On the placement of the circulator -- I'm not real happy with that, as it looks to me as though the eye of the impellor is very close to the boiler water line -- which means that it may be cavitating when it runs. That eats pumps alive.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    DodgeDozer
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    I think it may be your flow check. Put your hand on the red component below the circulator when running. If it is that, it's most likely air in that line.
    There's really no reason to drain/refill boiler, but in your case, your boiler needs to be skimmed.
    Check this site to find a competent tech near you.
    Also, you can attach pictures to your post rather than a link.
    steve
    DodgeDozer