Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old vs. New Blowers

bean
bean Member Posts: 34
Why does it seem that any older furnaces use belt driven blowers while everything newer is direct drive?

Comments

• Alan Welch
    Alan Welch Member Posts: 270
    Variable speed.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    More efficient, no bearings, no belt, no pulleys, no oiling, no motor adjustments, ,,,,,,,,now theres 5 speed motors, variable drives, ecm motors. Todays entire furnace is smaller than some of the old return air, stand alone belt drive boxes...... Geez think I just really dated myself......:)
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,200
    I never have missed the phase out of belt drives and all the grief that goes with them as the hardware ages.
    DZoro
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    Direct drive you can use slower speed for heat and higher speed for ac.

On belt drive your stuck with one speed unless you wan't to constantly readjust
    SuperTech
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,200
    One of the last belt drive furnaces available promoted the belt drive as being quieter than direct drives. (over 30 years ago)

And they could have been as the furnace was wider, blower bigger and could run at a lower speed. And the furnace weighted twice as much as anything today. You would not carry it downstairs by yourself.

I still never brought one.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Fewer parts, cheaper to manufacture as well. But more costly to fix, but cheaper to operate... etc etc etc.
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,039
    Why are carburetors not offered on autos anymore? Instead we have to deal with direct injection AND better HP and MPG.
    But I do miss the Holley double pumper 4 barrel.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    HVACNUT said:

...But I do miss the Holley double pumper 4 barrel.

Oh no. Carters. With hand chokes and mechanical secondaries.

Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    rick in AlaskaKC_Jones
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    I've got a hot air choke on an Autolite on my '59....
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764

HVACNUT said:

...But I do miss the Holley double pumper 4 barrel.

Oh no. Carters. With hand chokes and mechanical secondaries.

I run Edelbrock which is very similar (if not identical) to Carter. Holley was nothing but trouble for me, well unless you like working on the carb every week.

I do like an electric choke though.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 6,039
    The Carter AFB I think was better for a 4x4 could handle steep inclines without stalling.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    HVACNUT said:

The Carter AFB I think was better for a 4x4 could handle steep inclines without stalling.

Also true for drag racing -- the Carters (and Edelbrocks) didn't lean out so much on launch. The sleeper Buick GS I had for years used a 750 cfm Carter on the 401 nailhead -- stock from the factory that way (the Buick performance group didn't play games -- the tuned intake and exhaust were also stock)(the nailhead also had a pretty wild cam; getting it to idle reasonably smoothly was a bit of a trick).
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    HVACNUT