Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Carrier 9200 blowing 3 amp fuse within 20 seconds of inducer blower starting

mike953
mike953 Member Posts: 12
Carrier 9200 blowing 3 amp fuse within 20 seconds of inducer blower starting. Does not blow fuse without the white wire connected. Not a wiring short, I have the thermostat wired directly to the terminals in the furnace. Not the thermostat, I have used the old one and a new one. I'm not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated, it's getting cold in here.

Comments

  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,689
    It's a short, maybe the board, maybe the wiring.
    Your diagnostics are incorrect.
    Also "Does not blow fuse without the white wire connected." (which white wire) contradicts "It's not a wiring short".
    steve
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    I have tried to eliminate any possibility of a wiring short by wiring the thermostat direct to the terminals on the board with new wiring. I have inspected every inch of wiring past the board. The white wire I am referring to is the heating wire from the thermostat. I believe that I've eliminated everything but the board itself, but I'm looking for a second (or third) opinion. Any way to test the board?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Does the igniter start to glow? Try unplugging it.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,542
    Get a Popper fuse. Mans best friend when diagnosing pesky issues
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 9,765
    Is 20 seconds long enough for the pressure switch to close and then send power to the board to start the igniter?

    If the 20 seconds is the pre purge time then it checks the pressure switches and blows fuse, I would disconnect the pressure switch wiring and see if it holds.
    If so check switch wiring for shorts, if OK then maybe the board??
    It also would be good to check the limit circuits for shorts to ground. Back to the board??
    mike953
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    Tried it again and did not see a glow from the ignitor
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 1,792
    The fact that it blows the fuse after 20 seconds makes me think it could be something with the pressure switch or a component that's in series with the pressure switch since after 10-15 seconds after the inducer starts the pressure switch closing is next in line sequence of operation.

    You are referring to the 3 or 5 amp fuse in the control board? Not the fuse or circuit breaker for the wiring in your house?
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    Agree with JUGHNE, unhook p switch, and igniter,,,, Is the main blower running at this time?
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 1,792
    If it's blowing the low voltage fuse then it wouldn't be a hot surface igniter since only low voltage components will blow the fuse on the board.

    You can eliminate the board by checking if any of the components that are powered by the board are shorted to ground. I've also tested parts in the past by sending 120 or 24 volts directly to the component. On the average gas furnace there's not much to check as far as electrical loads. The inducer, igniter and blower motor are line voltage and everything 24 volts are relay coils and contacts
    mike953
  • SuperTech
    SuperTech Member Posts: 1,792
    My mistake. It's obviously the fuse on the board if it's three amp.....
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    Sorry I haven't been getting back to everyone. Been trying what you've all suggested and when the pressure switch is disconnected the fuse holds.
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 18,958
    Not likely to be the pressure switch or its wiring itself, but something perhaps in the wiring in whatever the pressure switch allows to energize.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 1,887
    The W is the 24V back to enigize the board .Thermostat wire we know is good . Fuse would just sizzle at start....

    The inducer starts within an second or two the pressure switch pull in ... I have to say the pressure switch and wiring good ...

    It's an hot surface ? which is 110V starts though an relay in board , But it's not glowing ... After 20seconds you say ? the board fuse pops ... Close to when the gas valve should pull in ...

    Hmm ...Bad igniter and an short in gas valve ? Odds against ... But to eliminate , disconnect the gas valve ... Throw in another 3amp fuse ( I too use the Little Popper , and carry one in my truck) , If the fuse blows again with in 20 seconds...change the board ..... This is from the hip
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
    mike953
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    disconnected the gas valve and reconnected p-switch. fuse blew just like b-4. was not sure which wire was the supply on the p-switch so I connected one wire at a time. fuse did not blow with either wire, so i'm guessing no short to ground. From what i see the p-switch wire comes from the board and returns to the board. anything left but a bad board?
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks to all of you who helped me with this. your time and effort are much appreciated
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,757
    Whats the full model number I look up on hvacpartners
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    furnace model 58MXA080. board # HK42FZ011
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 9,765
    Sometimes it is easy to pull the board just to peek at the back side (you may not have to unwire it completely). If any burn marks then it is an easy call.

    Years ago some used an insert limit that was a few inches long,
    One side of that would touch the cabinet and short out the 24 VAC. That was pretty old school device and I haven't seen one for a long time........worth a look. You usually can check the limit circuit with 2 (maybe red) wires at the board.
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    no burn marks. no discolored components. no burned electrical smell. of course with chips involved all of the old tests don't mean what they used to.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 9,765
    If you unplug the gas valve does the fuse still pop?
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,757
    The pressure switch comes out of the 9 pin plug on terminal 3 and returns on terminal 4. Sequence says when call for heat, board checks to be sure PS contacts are open and then starts inducer motor, then 15 sec pre purge and PS contacts close. that sounds like when you get your short. You can try removing wires from PS and waiting for inducer to start and touching them together and see what happens. And also check wires at the 9 pin plug.
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    limit switch checks out ok
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    yes, fuse still pops when gas valve is disconnected
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,757
    After the PS closes the igniter warms up so if something on the board is bad it would be the igniter relay you can see if that looks crispy.
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    did as you suggested, unclejohn. the fuse blew immediately when the PS wires touched. the 9 wire plug has nothing visually wrong with it
  • mike953
    mike953 Member Posts: 12
    just reinspected the board. visually it is perfect. if i remember my days of working with circuits, a burned out relay stunk. no smell.
  • DZoro
    DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
    I believe on that model all the wires come up from the blower cabinet. They go through a small hole that has a split plastic protector. The blower door pushes against this area also, check that out carefully.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,757
    If it's not the board it haS TO BE A SHORTED RETURN WIRE FROM THE PRESSURE switch. Sorry hit the caps lock key. Check that wire, I seem to remember there was some sort of metal clamp strain connector right at the board.