Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Whats better Hoffman 40 or Gorton 4

Options
acl10
acl10 Member Posts: 349
Whats better Hoffman 40 or Gorton 4. What are the plus and minus of each one.

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,788
    Options
    I'll take Gortons all day long.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Danny Scully
    Danny Scully Member Posts: 1,427
    Options
    Hoffman is good quality but i hate the sound it makes when it seats. Agree with @ChrisJ, Gortons all day.
  • ChrisJ
    Options

Hoffman is good quality but i hate the sound it makes when it seats. Agree with @ChrisJ, Gortons all day.

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    Danny Scully
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    Gorton 4 vents just a little slower. Hoffman 40 is a little quieter when venting at least on my system. Quality overall seems better on Gortons.
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    I'm a gorton radiator vent man too.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    Options
    I like the ventrite 11. Its slightly faster than a hoffman 40 but not as fast as a gorton 5. It does click when closed though. Also its beautifully made.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    They are both great vents. I like to hear the Hoffmans's click on close/open because it reassures me that they are working correctly. I also like the Ventrite No. 1 but have had bad luck with Ventrite No. 11 failing to close. My boiler has a vaporstat set to cut out at 14oz so its not a pressure issue.
  • ChrisJ
    edited February 2018
    Options

They are both great vents. I like to hear the Hoffmans's click on close/open because it reassures me that they are working correctly. I also like the Ventrite No. 1 but have had bad luck with Ventrite No. 11 failing to close. My boiler has a vaporstat set to cut out at 14oz so its not a pressure issue.

A proper working steam system should be felt and never heard.
    For that matter, it shouldn't really be felt either, more transparent.

I don't expect to hear any sound from any of my radiators, ever.

The loudest part of my system is the gas valve and I'll know if a vent leaks by an increase in water usage.
  • gfrbrookline
    gfrbrookline Member Posts: 753
    Options
    Point taken but after a year plus trying to balance my system, going from listening to tea kettle radiator vents that locked up because the the pressuretrol set at 2 cut out, water hammers, constant short cycling and no main vents to a system that works at 14 oz, no sound from the rads except the clicking and completely even heating, I like to hear the click because it lets me know the system is breathing and everything is working correctly. It's not loud or intrusive in any way.
    RomanGK_26986764589