Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Replace Steam Radiator Piping during reno?

oldsteamer
oldsteamer Member Posts: 8
edited February 2018 in THE MAIN WALL
I'm undergoing a gut kitchen renovation and wondering if there's any benefit to running new piping to radiators (one pipe steam) while all the walls are open? I won't (easily) get this chance again.

I've not noticed any particular issues, outside of a single radiator that doesn't get very for but is likely because 1. A large section is uninsulated in basement (fix underway) and 2. it's at the end of a main which has no main vent.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 24,103
    Don't bother. Steam piping does develop leaks now and then, but it's rare.

And do insulate and add a main vent!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    While you have everything open take a look at any horizontal steam pipes that run in the first floor ceiling to make sure they have some pitch. Over the decades houses sag and pipes can lose their pitch.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Mike Cascio
    Mike Cascio Member Posts: 143
    I wouldnt touch them unless there was something obviously wrong. So long water isnt sitting in a pipe because of sagging, the pipe should last forever.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    I agree with all of the above posts.

Check hangers and pitch. Maybe this is the time to install new radiator valve, and check for any obvious signs of leakage. If ok let it fly!