Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The authority said that it typically takes three to four years to design, make and install a boiler.

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,585

Comments

• newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    edited February 2018
    the wheels turn slow,lol
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Typical inefficiency of government.... and the bigger a government gets the worse the problem.
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 7,397
    Laughable! Mad Dog
    Rich_49
  • RayWohlfarth
    RayWohlfarth Member Posts: 1,613
    They must be really special boilers. Perhaps with metal only found during the full moon
    Ray Wohlfarth
    Boiler Lessons
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    It might take that long to wade through the red tape of their own making, but once they hand a good contractor some money, it happens now.
    Canucker
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,200
    Would doing an EDR survey be challenging?
    Perhaps there will be some oversizing??
  • leonz
    leonz Member Posts: 1,249
    edited February 2018
    Thinking out loud here;
    as a temporary solution It would be worth renting them them a bunch of low boy trailers fitted with 4 AHS S1500 coal stokers(6 million BTU and H stamped) that burn Anthracite Pea Coal and equipped with ash augers to dump the dead ashes in a roll off container that would be next to the trailer and 4 or 5 separate hot water storage trailers to store the hot water made for heating and domestic hot water.
    They could bring the Anthracite Pea Coal in by rail from Scranton easily enough.
    I would probably be accused of child abuse and be sued by Consolidated Edison for denying them the opportunity to sell natural gas if I wanted to hire school kids (with working papers) to shovel bulk Pea Coal into the hopper to feed the coal augers and spilled ashes back into the roll off containers. :'(:s
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,636
    I think that is when the Mayor's final term will be over. You see where I'm going?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    leonz said:

Thinking out loud here;
    as a temporary solution It would be worth renting them them a bunch of low boy trailers fitted with 4 AHS S1500 coal stokers(6 million BTU and H stamped) that burn Anthracite Pea Coal and equipped with ash augers to dump the dead ashes in a roll off container that would be next to the trailer and 4 or 5 separate hot water storage trailers to store the hot water made for heating and domestic hot water.
    They could bring the Anthracite Pea Coal in by rail from Scranton easily enough.
    I would probably be accused of child abuse and be sued by Consolidated Edison for denying them the opportunity to sell natural gas if I wanted to hire school kids (with working papers) to shovel bulk Pea Coal into the hopper to feed the coal augers and spilled ashes back into the roll off containers. :'(:s

NYC is not renting/burning coal

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    I heard on the news yesterday NYC will use temporary "mobile boilers" in the buildings where the 100yr old systems have failed/are failing and are beyond repair.

It's a complete cluster **** at this point, NYC Housing Authority is a disgrace and completely inept. If you gave them a match a $20 bill and a BBQ... they'd light the $20 to light the BBQ!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    I seem to remember them building a 101 story skyscraper in NYC in about one year. I also think a 101 story skyscraper is more complex than any boiler

1930: On March 17, construction of the Empire State Building begins. Under the direction of architects Shreve, Lamb & Harmon Associates, the framework rises 4 ½ stories per week.
    1931: On May 1, President Hoover presses a button in Washington, D.C. officially opening and turning on the Empire State Building's lights.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    kcopp
  • SlamDunk
    SlamDunk Member Posts: 1,636
    NY_Rob said:

I heard on the news yesterday NYC will use temporary "mobile boilers" in the buildings where the 100yr old systems have failed/are failing and are beyond repair.

It's a complete cluster **** at this point, NYC Housing Authority is a disgrace and completely inept. If you gave them a match a $20 bill and a BBQ... they'd light the $20 to light the BBQ!

The NYCHA has 100 year old buildings?
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    2 million a boiler and 4 years to do it... that would almost pay to go to the big city.. :smiley:
  • You could replace a lot of boiler tubes, in a short time for that sort of money!--NBC