Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

help

Options
347 Member Posts: 143
Need to replace this leaking ssu60c indirect. It's doing domestic, two radiant zones and one high temp (140ish) zones off the secondary coils. Ssu60c being supplied by a steam boiler. Trying to figure the best way to replace. New ssuc? New boiler?, mod con, ci? Combi? Zones off steam boiler? New everhot external tankless coil? I really think putting back ssuc is not the best option. I'd rather leave the steam boiler to do steam only. Too many option.
Thanks

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,693
    Options
    You have a lot of stuff going on.

I like indirect water heaters.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    You’ve got the famous Hoffman Differential Loop. Be careful which heating guys you have working in your home
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,322
    Options
    GW said:

You’ve got the famous Hoffman Differential Loop. Be careful which heating guys you have working in your home

Does he? How'd you figure that out, Gary ( @GW )? In that case -- yes indeed. He needs to have someone who does know what they are doing working on it!
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    With ALL that complexity you have going on there you are prob MUCH better off cutting out the hot water loop you have running all that steam.
    Keep the steam boiler just doing the steam .
    Looks like you have gas....
    I would prob do a separate HW boiler to run the IDWH and the hot water zones.
    OR you could run just the High temp loop off the boiler and do a Wall hung mod con to do the radiant and the Indirect.
    347 Member Posts: 143
    Options
    Thanks for the responces, I am the heating guy. GW, good catch with the hoffman loop, looked it up to see what it does.
    Kcopp, I was thinking along those lines also. Not sure to go cast iron boilet or something high efficiency.
    Thanks again
  • GW
    Options

GW said:

Does he? How'd you figure that out, Gary ( @GW )? In that case -- yes indeed. He needs to have someone who does know what they are doing working on it!
    I thought i saw a pussy cat, I mean, a Hoffman, in the pic
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • GW
    Options
    Jamie you have to click at the file pics
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA