Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

gas line for solar return and supply

Options
I've run into a few systems where a contractor used gastite or something similar. The trouble is that this contractor also used flex hoses that had a plastic liner that eventually overheats and bursts. On one of these systems I had to remove the fitting that connected the SS corrugated gas line to this hose. Now I can't get the gas line fitting to re-seal and can't find a replacement. I've tried the current gas line fittings and they are either too large (3/4) or too small (1/2). I also tried the caleffi fittings and those don't work either.

Do any of you have any suggestions? I'd rather not tell this client that he needs to replace his entire return and supply lines.....

I have a piece of the SS corrugated and can provide measurements if that means anything.

Thanks for the help.
Daimon

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,324
    Options
    Those dang metric fittings...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    What is the brand? Parflex or Parker is long out of business. Ward are Omega still there but not compatible.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    There are so many different metric sizes of the flex stainless out there, tough to find the original fitting. Is it a flare type or gasket seal?

How handy are you with a torch? :) I've found copper tube either fits inside or outside, braze or si-lflos carefully as that SS is super thin. Getting the ends to copper tube solves all the problems.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • DaimonVilppu
    DaimonVilppu Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Hmm.....I thought of brazing, but didn't think I would be able to make it work. I'll give that a try. I never trusted threaded fittings anyhow.

Thanks for the tip Bob.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    The nice thing about the braze joint is you can then soft solder along side it.

I have done it with basic straight brass rod, and flux, very thin rod. Or the blue flux coated rod Safety-Sil 45FC from JW Harris.
    Silver solder is crazy expensive these days.

A small brazing tip with a pencil flame, keeping most of the heat on the copper tube.

If they fit, I like the Gastite fitting, no gasket it just creates a flare like a brake fitting. And I see some CSST brand with a slip on fitting, almost like a SharkBite?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,544
    Options
    If this is natural gas or propane I wouldn't be soldering or brazing any part of it. Your post says "gas line for solar supply & return"........what are you working on??

If it's natural gas or propane I would identify the manufacturer of the flex and buy the correct fittings. If they aren't available ...replace the flex
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options

If this is natural gas or propane I wouldn't be soldering or brazing any part of it. Your post says "gas line for solar supply & return"........what are you working on??

If it's natural gas or propane I would identify the manufacturer of the flex and buy the correct fittings. If they aren't available ...replace the flex

It is corrugated stainless being used for the supply and return in a solar thermal system Ed
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • DaimonVilppu
    DaimonVilppu Member Posts: 3
    Options
    It worked! I did a little more research online, bought some 5% silver brazing rod and some high-temp brazing flux. It held on a 30# pressure test for more than 15 min. It may not be pretty, but it held and allowed me to solder to it. Beautiful.

Of course, while charging the system I found a leak somewhere else in the system and I also noticed that the expansion tank, which is to small, was installed on the PRV outlet....... :o

Looks like more work to get this system setup right.

Thanks for your help Hot Rod! B)
    kcopp