Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Heating - The search for a good thermostat/hub

DaveABC
DaveABC Member Posts: 10
I am installing 3 zones of radiant heat in my 1300 square foot house. I'd like to control the temperature for each zone separately via wifi in addition to at least one main "hub". This way I can monitor my home if I'm away. I came across the Honeywell Evohome but it is out of my budget.

Is there a good affordable option on the market yet? Kinda like Nest for multiple zone radiant heating?

Thanks!

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    One could use the Nest, or Ecobee. However, keep in mind that radiant heating is not intended to be turned up and turned down like forced air might be. It needs to be kept at a reasonably constant temperature at all times, being turned down only for extended (days) periods of no occupancy. That is because it takes a long time to change temperature -- even a three degree setback can take a day to recover from. The primary control should be slab sensors working in conjunction with space thermostats.

So you would have to disable all the occupancy spy functions...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    DaveABC