Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New To Radiant - Looking For Guidance

Options
DaveABC
DaveABC Member Posts: 10
edited January 2018 in Radiant Heating
Hello, I am new to radiant heating and plumbing in general. I've done some research and came up with the design below. I figured I'd post it for others to help. I'm at the initial stages. I can post my house layout if there is discussion or interest that starts. Thanks ahead of time for feedback. Please tear my design to pieces so I can make it better. Once the functionality is refined I'll work on the placement and optimizing space. :)

UPDATE:
This is an image of my updated plan. I deleted the original.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Don't use an open system. DHW and heat should be separate systems.
    Do not use tankless water heater as boiler.
    Most radiant systems require primary secondary piping.
    PRVs should be as close to the boiler as possible.
    Always perform heat loss calculations prior to design.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
    DaveABC
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    use mixing valves on your zones to help control a balanced temp out after doing what Zman said. An open system is just trouble waiting to happen. You could use a good boiler with indirect and with proper setup get very high efficiency out of it..
    DaveABC
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Forget everything you believe you have learned to this point . Let's start over . Where is this building located , what type fuels are available , what type of construction is the home ?

Once these important things are established we can all help you with a best practice plan while hopefully keeping it within a budget or your budget . This posted plan is a disaster , using wrong ideas and equipment . A room by room heat loss should be first in the process . Others may recommend an online calculator for this .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
    Mark EathertonDaveABC
  • DaveABC
    DaveABC Member Posts: 10
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Based on this link I performed a heat loss calculation for the house. I came up with 36,670 BTU/H for a 1,300 sqft home in upstate New York. I was looking into the NCB-180E Combi-boiler by Navien. It's an older home being retrofitted.

Based on the feedback, I'm looking into doing a closed system for the radiant heating and also domestic hot water with this heating unit. Not sure if this would work.

Also hooking into public water and natural gas.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Nice work.
    The Navien would be a good budget choice that will not take up much space. It will short cycle a bit with 3 zones, you might consider consolidating zones.
    I would install it with zone valves and a single circulator like the drawing attached. A grundfos alpha circ would be appropriate.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein