Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Vent Replacement

Options
I recently moved into a house with a steam boiler and original radiators on a one pipe system. After doing som research, I believe the steam vents need to be replaced.

All of the rooms are currently fitted with Hoffman 40's. (https://www.amazon.com/Hoffman-Steam-Angle-Radiator-401440/dp/B0057XTJOI). I have read that different radiator locations require different sized vents. Should I replace all of these, even if they're fully functioning?

I have a radiator on the second floor with a broken valve that does not work at all. It's a large room(converted attic). Which size should I buy for this?

On one of my radiators, the steam vent is about 45 degrees off from vertical, but it won't go vertical without considerable loosening. Suggestions for how to fix this?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Keep the Hoffman 40's, and put more main venting on first. After you have been able to observe the system for a few days, any laggard radiator could have a slightly larger vent on it, but I doubt you will need to change.--NBC
    stevie27
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Get the main venting corrected first. Maximize the main vents. One or two Big Mouth vents should do it.

After that, the radiator are not that critical. I have a wide range of sizes of radiator and most have one or two sizes. They could all be Hoffman 40s and it would Work fine.
    stevie27
  • stevie27
    stevie27 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    On one of my radiators, the steam vent is about 45 degrees off from vertical, but it won't go vertical without considerable loosening. Suggestions for how to fix this?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Does it still work? If so, leave it alone until you need to replace it. It sounds like it may have been cross threaded in the radiator. You may have to drill and tap the radiator to a 1/4" tapping and then put a 1/4" to 1/8" bushing in it for the vent.
    stevie27
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    I have been able to clean up threads with a tap, without re-drilling. I do use an extra nipple, and coupling in such cases.—NBC
    stevie27
  • stevie27
    stevie27 Member Posts: 10
    Options
    There are actually 2 radiators with a 45 degree vent. They both work, but one is spitting out a lot of water, so I will definitely replace that one. The other one only heats 1/3 of the way, but I'm guessing that's more of an angle issue for how it sits?
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Make sure the radiators have a little pitch, back towards the pipe. If they are level or pitched the wrong way, they will hold water and the vents will spit or the steam will condense in the radiator before it get all the way across to fully heat the radiator.
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,703
    Options
    that 45* vent,
    is it loose that you can easily back it out and you have it at 45 to be tight?
    take it out and add a couple wraps of teflon tape and snug it back in to 90.
    keep the tape back one thread from the nipple end so as not to get it in the vent.
    they really should be closer to 90 vertical.
    known to beat dead horses