Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pilot outages in high winds

Ungentleben
Ungentleben Member Posts: 1
Here is what I have:

Duo-Therm, M: 708001-1, 100kBtu, LPG.
Piloted DV (Non Concentric) Forced air furnace.
Air Inlet is in the interior of the Mechanical closet. Closet has return air connected to vented attic space.
Furnace vent outlet is capped with a 'High wind' Cap and terminates approximately 3' off of the roof line.
I am in a high wind area (55mph sustained 75 gusts last week).
30-40 MPH winds seem to be powerful enough to kill the pilot.

My thought is this:
The interior of the structure is going to have a lower pressure when the wind is blowing. With inlet being on the interior (in the lower pressure) it will almost have a siphoning effect allowing almost a free flow back into the structure. (Put water in a bit of tubing and blow into 1 end. the water comes out freely).

If I vent out the inlet to the exterior, both inlet and outlets should be receiving roughly the same amount of air pressures applied to them from the winds, and should experience reduced turbulence with in the burn chamber. (Put water in a bit of tubing and blow in to both ends...water can't go anywhere..low or no air movement in burn chamber.).

Am I barking up the wrong tree? My next idea would be to get an auto relight kit. (I have been disappointed by these before..)

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,276
    Sounds as though you may be on the right track. It will help if you have some reliable way to measure draught in the exhaust and relative pressure in that closet...
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England