Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Now that is what you call hard water.

bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930

Frozen water in toilet tank.
Now that is what you call hard water.
How do you soften this hard water?
Install a new furnace.
Owner turned furnace off to save a few dollars while away on vacation. Not a good idea in the winter in ND.
Oh those silly home owners.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Net they lost money on that throw of the dice......craps....
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Most likely turn it into their insurance company. Will the insurance company pay for all of the damage because the home owner was not thinking?
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    It's amazing what homeowners will pay for, and what they won't.........that's one you gotta wonder.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Wow! How about turn the thermostat down to something reasonable like 50 or 55.... Turning it off is just lunatic!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    bob eck said:

Most likely turn it into their insurance company. Will the insurance company pay for all of the damage because the home owner was not thinking?

If the insurance knows or finds out they turned the heat off, no way should they pay and I would hope they don't.

I am starting to think there needs to be a basic skills test before you are allowed to buy a house. Some of the things I hear people doing or not doing makes my head spin.

They seriously thought turning the heat off in the winter was a good idea? It's hard to conceive how much stupid that takes, obviously it can't be fixed @Steamhead . ;)
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
    RomanGK_26986764589
  • lostinheating
    lostinheating Member Posts: 31
    If you're going to sbut heat off in winter at least drain the house down best you can. Penny wise dollar foolish.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 5,107
    Sad part is IF they pay, we all pay with our rates.
  • Leonard
    Leonard Member Posts: 903
    edited January 2018
    Here in cold NH my neighbor went south for the winter ( Nov- April) and shut off the heat. He drained pipes and added antifreeze to heating system. He got back and next day I saw a city backhoe digging up his front yard. City water line froze UNDERGROUND near where it came thru his cellar cement wall. Odd, the house had electric heat, so should have had good insulation. But was small house.

Here water lines have to be more than 3 feet underground to avoid freezing, looks like that includes 3 feet horizontally from the wall of an unheated building

We've got a large commercial building that we didn't heat , but I kept an eye on temp where water pipe comes up thru slab. I also set small cups of water through out building and checked for freezing. Came CLOSE to 32 degs, but they never froze. However building was large ~ 40 x70 , so I guess enough heat came up from ground to avoid freezing.