Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What size cap would I need for this?

Options
This radiator is not in use, but unfortunately the shut off valve must be worn as it the radiator rattles pretty badly when the furnace is ripping. I'd be fine to just disconnect the radiator and cap the pipe at the wall. Can anyone discern what size cap would be needed from the pictures below?

I'd like to make as few trips to the supply house as possible.

Comments

• Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    1" There is a 1 right on the valve. You could also repair the valve. Next person might want the rad there.
    lateralex
  • lateralex
    lateralex Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Got it, thanks. I put a new heat system on this floor, so this is really just a relic at this point.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    I saw the last post you made in 2016 and now this one. I have to ask, what issues that you are having with wanting to reduce and eliminate radiators? When I read posts like this my first thought is always imbalance and venting issues with the system.

Not trying to second guess you, just trying to help in case you are attacking a problem from the wrong angle.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • lateralex
    lateralex Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Hi KC - appreciate you looking out. The home I am in was originally a single family home that was converted to a two family what must have been some 40-50 years ago. As a result there are now 3 heating systems (2 in my unit, 1 in the other) so we have a few of these random radiators that don't make sense anymore.

I was concerned about the system balance too, but I've had this radiator off for a year or two with no problems, so I am now just making it's end official.
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Teflon on a Union....... Really!
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    pecmsg said:

Teflon on a Union....... Really!

It takes all kinds.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    If it works it works.
    Canucker
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 4,864
    Options
    Works just as well of Flairs........... :s
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    2 heating systems, sound like a nightmare. I would have dumped one a long time ago.

My comment about balance was that imbalance could be causing the problem with that radiator overheating the space.

Best of luck to you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15