Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What is this "outside" heating system?

Can someone tell me what system this is being installed. I have heard these are being installed as "outside" units to replace noisy systems in a mobile home in Massachusetts? Just wondering since I have never seen these units before if this is a good or bad thing and what they are?

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    That is a bad thing.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• cwilliams2000
    cwilliams2000 Member Posts: 140
    Why? That's what I thought too very concerned as my parents are considering one of these and I can't get much info.
  • hvacfreak2
    That is a side outlet / inlet packaged system. Why is it bad , well ..

- flex duct penetrating the outside wall.
    - air handling unit placed outdoors ( insulation value ).
    - blower arrangement will require higher static motor due to it's configuration.
    - filter options ?

I do commercial work and packaged rooftop units are wonderful in that application but there is nothing about them that I would want to live with.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

• cwilliams2000
    Thank you very much. I figured that if this was such a great thing than why wouldn't these be used all the time in residential to save space inside? My other concern is trying to get these serviced in a retirement park by a regular heating pro, doesn't seem like they would be expecting this.
  • hvacfreak2
    If this was new construction and the duct system was designed for it , building codes followed throughout the installation , etc. than it's not a terrible product type. It's just that all too often these are used as a slap in tail light warranty see ya later installations.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• cwilliams2000
    That's good to know. A lot of the folks that live in this development of pre-fab mobile style homes complain about the noise of the inside, mostly Coleman style units. From what I understand these are being sold as upgrades and placed outside with holes cut through the bottom the house (they dont have basements, just crawlspace) and the interior ducting is re-routed to these units.
  • hvacfreak2
    If that is the case than this may actually be better than an air handler shoved into a crawl space , I can see that.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Easyio FG20 Controller

• cwilliams2000
    They are actually installed on an inside closet. They remove the upper and lower panels in the door and install vents for the return. Only the rooms have supplies. Places are one floor between 900-1400sqft. Closets are fairly central.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,440
    These are a lot more popular down south, especially where there are no basements.

I hate getting a no heat call on one in weather like this where you become so numb you can't think or work.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,069
    These are used all the time in that application. Some people call them "gas packs" if they have gas heat. You can buy them with ac & electric or gas heat. It is basically a roof top unit with side discharge ductwork installed on the ground

In a mobile home you don't have a lot of options. It's either this or a Miller or Coleman furnace stuffed in a closet.

If I was going to pic one I would go with the gas pack installed correctly of course. Ductwork should be well sealed and well insulated
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    There is nothing wrong with these units other then it would be easier and less costly IMO to just replace the indoor unit with a quieter model. I replaced my Coleman propane forced air unit with a variable speed heat pump and moved the return from the closet door to the high wall on the adjacent side and it's whisper quiet.
    Ironman
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,756
    i give a racoon one night with that flex
    known to beat dead horses
    NY_RobSolid_Fuel_ManHarvey RamerCanucker
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    One night? I give them one hour!
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
    Canucker
  • NY_Rob
    NY_Rob Member Posts: 1,370
    ^ especially if they bring their own tools :D
    Solid_Fuel_ManCanucker
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,261
    > @neilc said:
    > i give a racoon one night with that flex

Groundhogs tear the crap out of them as well. The foil coated flex provides a better deterrent for the critters.