Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Psi

Options
Hi guys it's very cold here in NYC my. Oiler keeps shutting after about 45 minutes of running once it reaches 1 psi it has been running pretty much non stop during the last / weeks of this sever cold spell is my boiler working correctly or should I raise the psi very slightly in this cold thanks

Comments

• hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    edited January 2018
    Options
    I'm having the opposite , my radiator vents were screeming at me this morning ( this is all factory wiring too , I need to figure this out ) . With the run times being longer as it gets colder I can imagine that in certain systems the pressure will be slightly higher than normal. But I have said in other threads that it would be ok to increase the pressure and some others made it sound like horrible advice. So , ...

1) Is the pressure confirmed ? This means a gauge with a scale that can display increments less than 1 psi and a clear passageway to the gauge and control.
    2) How long are the mains , and what size ? No it really doesn't matter but someone will say that it does.
    3) Are you of sound mind ? 2+2=4 ?

If you answer yes to the three questions above ( #2 not really ) I would say that it may be ok to ease up to cut out at say 1.5 psi , keeping a watchful eye mind you we don't want to push the envelope or reach critical mass. Be safe.

hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

daveamirdelta T
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    is everything hot? the radiators i mean? if the radiators are hot, then they are hot, raising the pressure isn't going to do much more than raise your fuel bill. Yes, the steam would be slightly hotter steam, but the 'cons' of that practice are many.
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

daveamir
  • daveamir
    daveamir Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Radiators are nice and hot I was just wondering if it was ok that the radiator is shutting so often due to pressure buildup from the extreme cold
  • mikeg2015
    mikeg2015 Member Posts: 1,194
    Options
    The pressure buildup isn't because of the extreme cold, it's because the boiler is just slightly oversized. That's normal as you want a little extra capacity to heat everything up (called pickup factor), but once it's heated, it only has to match the heat loss of the radiators. The energy to heat everything up is about 30-50% more than the heat loss of the radiators.

This wasn't a big deal on a coal fire system as it would just close the damper, or the fire would naturally die down by that point.

However, if your house is a little cooler than usual, the radiators will put out a little more capacity.

Make sure all your radiators are open and heating fairly evenly.
    daveamir
  • hvacfreak2
    hvacfreak2 Member Posts: 500
    Options
    Depending on the size of the boiler and the piping ( and venting ) arrangement 1 psi ( or additive .5 diff will mean 1.5 cut out ) still leaves some room to operate the burner to meet the thermostat setpoint. If it has been determined that your system should cut out at the current settings than so be it , but if the thermostat is not meeting setpoint you have some room on the pressure control to play with and still be within reason. If the space is comfortable than I would leave it alone . Venting and other improvements can be evaluated during some less demanding weather for the time being , my 2 cents.
    hvacfreak

Mechanical Enthusiast

Burnham MST 396 , 60 oz gauge , Tigerloop , Firomatic Check Valve , Mcdonnell Miller 67 lwco , Danfoss RA2k TRV's

Easyio FG20 Controller

daveamir
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,550
    Options
    that would be normal operation in the temperatures we are having. Leave it alone
    daveamir
  • daveamir
    daveamir Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks guys so I guess I'm ok then at this point I will keep monitoring