Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

weil-mclain cgi install

user340297
user340297 Member Posts: 1
The heat exchanger was leaking on my old boiler, so I had a contractor install a weil-clain cgi-4 series 3 with a mixing valve. Take a look at the pictures and I would appreciate feedback. Thermometer on the return line is 80 degrees, which does not seem correct. Mixing valve is still factory set to 120; should I increase or decrease?

I am thinking about having the expansion tank moved to a support bracket; copper tubing appears to be sagging. Barely 2 months old and having an issue with the main burner not firing, but the pilot is lit. Noticed there appears to be a stain under the burner....

Comments

• Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,366
    I don't think that will heat your house sufficiently like that. The way the mixing valve is installed, it's gonna supply 120* water to your radiators.

Seeing that you have large iron piping, I'm assuming that you have cast iron rads? They will probably need 160*+ water in this kind of weather. It appears your installer put the valve in to protect the boiler from low return water temps, but the way it is now, it's simply tempering down the supply water to the radiators.

Here's a link that shows how it should be done:
    https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.supplyhouse.com/product_files/193B1701-Submittal.pdf

The 1/2" pex used to connect the expansion tank also looks like it's regular, non-barrier plumbing pex which is unacceptable. It needs to be O2 barrier heating pex or metal piping.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Yeah, along with what ironman said gotta do something with that x tank. I can't believe it's just sitting there on the piping with pex piping.............
    Canucker
  • newagedawn
    newagedawn Member Posts: 586
    oh my,lol, quick get the camera,lol, in all seriousness why would you put a tempering valve on a heat loop thats not radiant?, if you want to lower the water temp turn the aqua-stat down,
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    That boiler is going to condense a whole bunch. That's going to kill the boiler.... The expansion tank is prob undersized for a CI rad system.
    Doug Hiscock