Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Information needed on threaded "R20" Uponor fittings

Options
Trying to find the industry type and size of Uponor's "R20" threaded fittings. I need 90 degree elbows, threaded each end, to get straight through a subfloor with 1/2 inch MLC and QS fittings (long story), to crawlspace. Uponor only makes them in a straight configuration, doesn't offer them in Press Fit for 1/2 inch , so I'm looking for a third party supplier. Uponor would only say that they are "3/4 G" size. Someone mentioned they could be a British pipe size, but there's that bevel inside the coupling as well.
Anyone here know what they are called in the world of fluid components? I can "kludge" this together with some of their radiator elbows, ProPex to sweat fittings, and HePex I'd need to buy, but someone must make the coupling in a 90......or not.
Thanks in advance for your help, folks.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    If Caleffi doesn't have it no one would.
  • steamedchicago
    steamedchicago Member Posts: 72
    Options
    3/4 G means 3/4 british standard parallel pipe. British Tapered Pipe threads are called "R" threads. I have no idea why G and R instead of something clear and unambiguous. I guess it's the love of confusion in british thread standards, of which there are lots to be confused by.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    edited January 2018
    Options
    So you want a R20 street ell, essentially.

I think the G stands for gas thread in some Euro nomenclature

The terminology for the use of G and R originated from Germany (G for gas, as it was originally designed for use on gas pipes; R for rohr, meaning pipe.)
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    Options

Trying to find the industry type and size of Uponor's "R20" threaded fittings. I need 90 degree elbows, threaded each end, to get straight through a subfloor with 1/2 inch MLC and QS fittings (long story), to crawlspace. Uponor only makes them in a straight configuration, doesn't offer them in Press Fit for 1/2 inch , so I'm looking for a third party supplier. Uponor would only say that they are "3/4 G" size. Someone mentioned they could be a British pipe size, but there's that bevel inside the coupling as well.
    Anyone here know what they are called in the world of fluid components? I can "kludge" this together with some of their radiator elbows, ProPex to sweat fittings, and HePex I'd need to buy, but someone must make the coupling in a 90......or not.

Can you just rotate the manifold 90 degrees to go straight out the back
    You could buy say a3 and 4 port manifold, couple them together in the orientation you need

How many do you need.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    hot rod said:

R for rohr, meaning pipe.)

Could this have had anything to do with determining your vocation?

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Novagen_Ed
    Novagen_Ed Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Hot Rod, the "long story" is that there was Warmboard under a fireplace hearth extension,complete with (3) 1/2 inch pipe loops, instead of solid masonry.

A joist supporting the Warmboard comes right across front of firebox pier. Add a small gap between front of firebox and Warmboard, light a good fire, and edge of Warmboard smolders, hearth extension cracks.
    Hearth extension has been removed and now so must the edge-charred (Warmboard) sub floor to allow a proper masonry pier to be built for the hearth extension. Loops of MLC tubing need to be cut back, sent 90 degrees downward just beyond new pier, spliced. Surgical approach is to avoid ripping up a lot of finished floor.
    End of long story......thanks again. Beyond the thread size I'm uncertain what this style of connection is called : flared, etc.??

• hot_rod
    Options
    The threaded part is basically a BSP straight thread. Any fitting with matching thread could screw on , however, you need to seal the thread. Loctite is one common method, hemp is another

When that G thread is used on a radiant manifold the seal is made with an o- ring, taper or both. That allows a union connection so to speak to attach Pex tube easily.

I think this is what you are after. It is a fitting we offer across the pond, I maybe able to get a sample.

Not sure how many you need or when?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Novagen_Ed
    Options
    Hot Rod,
    Thanks! The external threaded half of the fitting in your photo, (with inside taper) looks like what I need, but in a 90, with that outside threaded connection on BOTH ends if possible.
    Uponor sells it only in an "R20" straight coupling "nipple".

And yes, their QS fittings seal with a taper and O ring, which is why I prefer to avoid thread sealed pieces under the subfloor if possible.
    I could send to you one of the straight nipples to see if you have a match. I'd need at least 6 pieces but if they're coming from Europe I'd probably buy 10, to have some extras.
    Thanks again,
    Ed
  • Canucker
    Canucker Member Posts: 722
    Options
    Ironman said:

hot rod said:

@Ironman Are you suggesting there may be some nominative determinism happening for @hot rod ? ;)
    You can have it good, fast or cheap. Pick two
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,376
    Options
    Canucker said:

Ironman said:

hot rod said:

@Ironman Are you suggesting there may be some nominative determinism happening for @hot rod ? ;)
    The irony: Rohr means pipe. He's a pipe expert. What's even more ironic is that most old European names were derived from the person's or family's craft.

Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
  • Canucker
    Options
    Ironman said:

Canucker said:

Ironman said:

hot rod said:

The irony: Rohr means pipe. He's a pipe expert. What's even more ironic is that most old European names were derived from the person's or family's craft.

He had no choice. lol
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Canucker said:

Ironman said:

Canucker said:

Ironman said:

hot rod said:

He had no choice. lol
    I never knew the back story until I visited the ISH show many years ago and saw rohr on a lot of products.

I had hoped I was an heir to the Rohr aerospace company that built the Bart cars :)

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    TRV valves have that thread and taper, this is Caleffi 338 Convertible valve, made for panel rads and towel bars..

You could remove the stem and plug it, but an expensive ell :)

I'll see what i can cobble together tomorrow. How long can it be on both sides, a copper ell with some adapters is possible. It would not be a short turn like this TRV body.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • hot_rod
    Options
    like this?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Canucker
    Options
    hot rod said:

Canucker said:

Ironman said:

Canucker said:

Ironman said:

hot rod said:

He had no choice. lol
    I never knew the back story until I visited the ISH show many years ago and saw rohr on a lot of products.

I had hoped I was an heir to the Rohr aerospace company that built the Bart cars :)

I work with a Rockefeller. He's disappointed that he lives too far north to be one of the rich Rockefellers
  • Novagen_Ed
    Options
    Thanks Hot Rod: they can be longer, but we'll be cutting away the damaged sub floor early next week and then will have a better idea about how to proceed. Will update this thread once finished.